Need help with old S&W .22LR Revolver (pic heavy!)

Sixer

I've been helping an old friend clean up and function check his guns that have been locked away for quite some time. I admit, I know very little about revolvers... so I wanted to see if I could get any info on this old S&W .22LR. All I really know is that this gentleman's father carried it when he was a postal worker many years ago. Here are a handful of pics so hopefully someone can give me some info on this little guy. I'd like to find out about when this gun was manufactured and what the approx. value of it would be.

Thanks!

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

30-30remchester

What you have there is called a "22/32 Bekeart Model or 22/32 Heavy Frame Target". These were named after the person that brought the idea to Smith & Wesson,Phillip Bekeart. He invisioned a target 22 on a heavy 32 caliber frame.

ipscchef

It appears what you have is a "22-32 Hand ejector or "Bekeart" named, I believe after the man who had S&W make up a .22 on the larger .32 Hand ejector frame.
What you need to do, if I may be so bold, is to call S&W, and ask them for a letter of athentication. They will instruct you on how to do this. I would do this rather quickly as you may have something of real interest on your hands,depending on the date of manufacture.
If he is there in his office you should ask to speak to Roy Jinks. He is the Man to speak to about such things, and quite a wealth of information about all things S&W. Not to mention quite a Gentleman of great reputation.

Bill Henderson

30-30remchester

Another thing your gun should have been produced prior to 1935, serial numbers on these models are difficult to nail down in relationship to the exact year of manufacture. The gun is original with original grips however it shows signs of use, all in all a great gun but not in the condition collectors like.

bob.a

It's not in the condition collectors like, but it's certainly in the condition I like.
Namely not so ragged out as to be ugly, and good enough to shoot.

A handsome old revolver that I'd be pleased to own. Thanks for the pics.

Sixer

Hey guys, appreciate the info! I actually took this gun to the range after cleaning it up a bit... shoots great :)

ipscchef - I spoke with my friend / client and he thought it would be a great idea to get a letter of authenticity from S&W. I printed off the form from their website and will get to work on that this weekend.

He also has a few other firearms and revolvers that a very interesting. I will be posting pics and likely asking the same questions about those very soon! It's really been fun having the chance to help him out with some of these older guns. As his insurance agent I can even chalk it up as "work" since we are documenting the guns and attempting to obtain approx. replacement values :)

Thanks again for the replies

Eric