Need help with odd falling block rifle...any single shot experts??

Jason280

I've posted this on a few other sites, but thought I would see if I could get any traffic here...

I picked up a rather interesting rifle today, and wanted to see if anyone here knew anything about them. Its a falling block single shot, similar to a Low Wall. The tang is marked "Clerke Technique Corp. Santa Monica, Calif. USA", and has a 4-digit serial number. Information online is virtually non-existent, but I did find them in the gun blue book. According to the data in the book, they were made in several calibers from 1972-1974. This one is a .45-70, although the barrel is not stamped as such. Instead, it is engraved (with what looks to be an electric pencil)".45-70 by R.C. Neely". It doesn't have sights, but came with a set of 1pc base/rings and a Simmons scope.

Any information on this gun? Does it look to be a copy of a low wall action, and will it handle heavier .45-70 loads? Anyone ever seen one of these rifles? It has a very nice case hardened receiver, and very good bluing on the barrel. The wood could stand refinishing, but isn't terrible.

So, thoughts?

LowWall12.jpg

LowWall1.jpg

LowWall4.jpg

LowWall5.jpg

LowWall6.jpg

Jim Watson

I remember when they were promoting those rifles.
A Google found more questions than answers and some incomplete actions laying around.
It is a more or less copy of a Winchester Highwall, not Lowwall and should stand at least middle range .45-70 loads; no need to limit it to Trapdoor pressures. Heavier still? Probably, I found one listed in .225 Win which is a hot load. But it is a low production item from 40 years ago and if you busted something, parts would not be readily available.

HiBC

This will amount to vague cobwebs in the corners of my memory.
I think the mans name may have been Bo Clerke.Or Beau Clerke.

Seems like there were some Clerke barrels available for 10-22's a few years ago.

I think Clerke is the "C" in CH,(I found this to be incorrect,see note below)as in Armory CH or CH reloading presses.I think later the presses became Hornady CH.

Armory CH offered some falling block kits.

As I said,any of this may be wrong,or misleading.

Long time ago,but it may give you some leads.

(A little research showed me I was wrong about the "C" in CH.CH was formed by Charles Heckman in 1947.I still recall the Armory CH kits for a falling block.I did find leads on the Bo Clerke barrels.Check Clerke International.He may still be in the bbl business.)

Check this thread http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1218901412/all

Last edited:

Jason280

I was able to find out a little information today regarding the rifle. I found a number for Bo Clerke online, and called what looked to be his barrel company in New Mexico. I wasn't able to get in touch with Mr. Clerke, as it seems he has sold his barrel business to another gentleman. The gentleman was very helpful, and was able to give me some information after he made a few calls. According to the people he spoke with, the rifle is an exact replica of an 1885 High Wall. Also, according to the gentleman. Mr. Clerke got out of the rifle game and sold his equipment to Shiloh Sharps in Montana.

I dug out my tang sight set today, but I am not sure if it will work with the rifle. The rear flip up peep should be no problem, but my front sight may not work. Its a standard drift in/dovetailed front globe sight, and I do not believe the barrel is thick enough at the muzzle to be dovetailed for the sight. Guess I'll have to see if I can get one sweated on!

Jim Watson

According to the people he spoke with, the rifle is an exact replica of an 1885 High Wall.

Not so.
The reciever ring is about twice as long as a real Winchester's.
The rear of the receiver is cut straight without the scallop seen on a real Winchester.
Those both might well be advantages in stiffening the assembly, but it means that it is not an exact replica.

Opinated

I have never examined one of these and do not know how they should look. In the second photo, the action is open and the piece projecting downward looks to be heavily pitted on the left edge. But it just cannot be rust damage unless that part was salvaged from another rifle. Any ideas?

Straitshot

I had a friend who had a couple Clerke rifles. If I remember correctly they were both 45-70's. He, another friend, and myself used to shoot big bore black powder cartridge guns quite a bit together. They are both now gone and although I still enjoy shooting the 45-70, I just don't do it as often as I use to. I think perhaps it was the company of good friends as much as the shooting. We all shot black powder mostly and if someone shot black powder from your gun at one time and did not take it down and clean it properly could be the culprit if there are pits on the side of the locking lugs. Both of his guns shot very well. If I remember correctly he also had one by a company called Falling Block Works but I don't think it was as good a quality as the Clerke's.

Last edited:

michaelcj

Try going over to ASSRA.com/forum. It is the single shot rifle forum and if those guys can't help you out no one can.

MJ

Jason280

Its not pitting, its simply whatever lube they used on the internals. The gun is extremely clean, and I doubt they ever shot any BP loads. The barrel is immaculate, and it looks as though the rifle was well taken care of.

Its a really odd gun, which is an added bonus for me because I like owning stuff no one else has. Plus, I was able to buy it for very cheap, so there was no way I could go wrong with the purchase. I just hope I can get my set of irons fitted. The rear tang sight won't be an issue, but I am not sure what I will do for a front sight.

44 AMP

Staff
From the 1974 Gun Digest

Clerke Single Shot Hi-wall rifle

calibers: 222, 223, 22-250, 243, 6mm Rem, 250 Sav., 257 Rob, 25-06, 264 Win, 270, 7mm Rem Mag, 30-30, 30-06, 300 Win, 375 H&H, 458 Win, 45-70

barrel: 26" medium weight

stock: Walnut p.g. and forend, white line spacer with black buttplate

sights: none furnished. Drilled and tapped.

Features: Std model: exposed hammer, curved finger lever. Schnabel forend.

Price:..............................................................$190.00

Just to give you some comparison, the Ruger No. 1 was $265, the No.3 was $165, and the Browning Model 78 was $229.50 at the same time.

Considering the other calibers it was chambered in, it ought to be able to take some stout 45-70 loads. But I would work them up very carefully!.

Jim Watson

I am not sure what I will do for a front sight.

A regular front ramp would work.
It doesn't take a very deep hole in a tapered barrel to screw it down and if that is not feasible, it can be soldered on. Use a low ramp, put the low Lyman globe in the dovetail to hold suitable inserts for your tang sight and you are all set.

NEGC makes a barrel band front sight ramp that can be driven on, soldered, set screwed or Loctited to hold. But it has the odd Eurostyle longitudinal dovetail, you'd have to machine the top of the ramp down to take a regular sight.

Gary Fellers might have one of the old Redfield barrel band front ramps that would not take as much work.

Jason280

Wow, those are some really interesting prices. The current Blue Book prices are about the same price as what it originally listed for, ranging anywhere from $135-225 (if I remember correctly). Of course, the rifle would easily sell for more, but it is some interesting info. I would love to have one in .250 Savage, or even .257 Roberts. I have a B78 from the late '70s in .30-06, so I may need to dig it out of the safe and compare the two.

As far as the front sight goes, I like the idea of a front barrel band. It would certainly be the easiest, and I am not sure how much sweating a front sight on would hurt the surrounding bluing. It would be a lot of fun shooting 405gr lead bullets at 1200fps, and should be a breeze to bang steel out to 300 yards with a good set of tang sights.