Need help with MLK quote

Cougar

My wife, Mustang Sally, and I are going to DC for the AIMM rally/march. We are making the rally signs this weekend and need the correct Martin Luther king, Jr quote....

It goes something like this....

"A Right restricted is a Right denied"

Is this quote accurate?
Does anyone have any idea which speech this was from?
Date or year?

I think this particular quote, attributed to Dr. King, would be a good one to put on a rally sign. Just think of the correlations of this statement to struggle for the Second Amendment!

I would like to make sure I use the correct quote!

Thanks for your help!

------------------
Remember, just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you!

David Roberson

The actual quote is "A right delayed is a right denied," and King made the remark in regard to efforts by certain Southern states to put restrictions in place to make it more difficult for blacks to vote, while still claiming that they had the _right_ to do so. King also used variations on this and other of his more famous quotes, which he recycled from time to time like most people who do frequent public speaking.

Gorthaur

I think King was quoting a supreme court justice. King said: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>We know through painful experience that freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed. Frankly, I have yet to engage in a direct-action campaign that was "well-timed" in the view of those who have not suffered unduly from the disease of segregation. For years now I have heard the word "Wait!" It rings in the ear of every Negro with piercing familiarity. This "Wait" has almost always meant "Never." We must come to see, with one of our distinguished jurists, that "justice too long delayed is justice denied."[/quote]This was in his Letter from Birmingham Jail

------------------
Protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms!

Cougar

Thanks guys!

It would have been nice if I could have used Dr. King as the source of the quote, but the message will still be valid even without crediting King with saying it.

What do you think? Does the slogan 'A Right restricted is a Right denied' sound good to you? Would 'regulated' be a better choice instead of 'restricted?'

------------------
Remember, just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you!

Gorthaur

A right restricted is a right denied sounds good. Or maybe A right restricted is a right infringed? Or A right infringed is a right denied.

BTW, the concept of "justice delayed is justice denied" has apparently been part of common law since the time of the Magna Carta (1215). Part of the Magna Carta is translated as "to no-one will we sell, delay or deny right and justice."

------------------
Protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms!

USP45

Cougar -- I learned something at the GOAL Rally in April in Carver MA, use buzzwords! Consider something like, "Gun Control is racist, sexist, anti-poor" or "Discressionary Gun Laws are Unconstitutional". How about "License Free Speech, Register Pencils" or "License to stop illegal searches and seizures" (maybe to hard to comprehend)

The point is make the anti's focus on defending themselves from being painted as run-of-the-mill bigots. Make the anti's look like the bad guys by painting them as they are, anti-women, anti-poor, anti-minority.

The past 40 years have shown us that nobody has any desire to obey the 2nd Amendment when it comes to furthering a political agenda.

~USP