Need Help With Deer Cam Picture

milky7272

I have had a camera up in the back yard by the pear tree. I have had lots of pictures of nice deer, but when checking it this afternoon found this picture. I dont think its a dog. By looking at its tail I want to think its a coyote, but its black? Any help would be great thanks.
MDGC0040.jpg

slammedsi

Were do you live? i have several pics of Black Cougars here in North Texas. To be honest with you thats just what it looks to be..

Edit... The more i look at it the more it looks like a German Shepard. The tail isnt long enough to be a Cougar, as there tails are as long as there bodies ..

TXAZ

It's not a Cat...

I used a simple photo editor to enhance the picture in a couple of minutes.

Attachments

• Deer Cam Cat 1.jpg
    Deer Cam Cat 1.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

milky7272

Thanks for the help guys. That last picture that Hog buster did really cleared it up. Just hard to believe they will come that close to someones back yard.

Hog Buster

milky7272

Coyotes around here show up in the yard of my house at odd times of the day to dine on my chickens and occasionally a cat. At night they prowl right up to my door. The bad thing is you can’t kill them all, I know I’m trying. Same for foxes, just not as many of them.

Irish B

First of all there is no such thing as a black cougar. Never in the entire history of felidae biology has there ever been a proven recorded melanistic cougar. Cougars don't contain a melanistic mutating gene like Jaguars and Leopards do. Second of all the legs are canine. Its probably a wolf hybrid. Someone's pet. Either that or a coyote. Just looks a little linky to be a coyote.

http://tahlequahdailypress.com/archive/x519324808

Last edited:

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Edited for post below....

Ok, with the scale, it could well be smaller than a deer. The photo posted by TXAZ above has no scale. It looks about right size to be fawn to me, but it's tail looks funny. I could buy coyote, but the head and ears look wrong.

Tail looks wrong for a deer, head looks wrong for a coyote/dog.

Last edited:

milky7272

I have some other pictures of deer takin from this camera and the deer were standing in the same area and they average about the height of the two lines on the right. Notice the size of this to what a normal buck would usually be. Also that tail looks pretty long to be a deer tail.Pete I think they have read the previous post. I agree the head looks odd for a coyote but look at that tail and hine legs. The size is one thing that leads me to belive its not a deer. I did shoot a coyote 200 yds from there last week but he was grey. Guys thanks for all the opions and photo editing.

Attachments

• YOTE CLEAN 2.JPG
    YOTE CLEAN 2.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

doofus47

I saw a black cat crossing a road near Leonard, TX back in 93. My two buddies who were in the truck with me agreed with me. It seemed to take up a lane from nose to tail.

No idea about species, etc. It looked like a cat; it walked like a cat;it was big and it was GONE long before we reached the spot. Light was flat overcast grey. Distance about 150 yards.

So far, no bad luck incurred, so maybe it wasn't a cat....

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Looks too much like a yote to me...

Eglin AFB WMA has been waiting for YEARS for a black yote to be killed on their land for the visitor center display...

That one would likely be dark enuff had it been killed down here.

Here at my house, I have had the entire pack in my front yard. One night I walked out and could make it out real good but they split before I got back out with the 20ga. I paced off the distance in the daylight at under 60 feet from where I had been standing.

Brent