Need help with Colt Pocket Hammerless

Avenger

Well, Dad was re-assembling his .32 Pocket Hammerless last night, and got the guide rod reversed. When he went to put the barrel in, the spring went sproing and flew off the guide rod, INSIDE the frame/slide, where it curled up inside the barrel channel. We spent about two hours trying to get the slide back off, or to pull the spring out, but to no avail. The slide simply isn't going to move more than about 1/4inch. Anyone have any ideas? The only thing we can think of at this point is to use a long shank Dremel tool to cut the spring inside the slide, but this frankly gives me the ickies for the obvious reasons.

mapsjanhere

If you can see the end of the spring, get a screw driver in the end and turn it like a screw to screw it out, no idea so if it's lefty loosy.

Avenger

Both ends are where they should be, it's the middle portion of the spring that sproinged. I don't see a way to get to the ends with the slide on.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Oh, boy! It sounds like he didn't get the barrel in, so can you remove the barrel from the front? If you can get the barrel turned out of the cutout in the slide, you might be able to pull it out and get at the spring that way.

Fortunately, www.gunpartscorp.com has springs for that gun.

Jim

Avenger

That's right, the barrel is completely out already. He was JUST about to insert the barrel when it sproinged. We can get at the middle of the spring through the barrel aperture AND the ejection port with pliers, but whatever it did in there has that spring STUCK enough that it just ain't moving from either opening.
Dad talked with a friend of his who is a rep for Smith & Wesson, and has a fair bit of smithing experience (albeit mostly smithing Smiths....:D). He thinks that cutting the spring is about the only way to unlock it. My idea was to go in through the barrel aperture in the slide, but he thinks we'll have better access through the ejection port. I had the Dremel with me last night, and I can get at the spring to cut it with no problem. I just wanted to wait to see if anyone else had any ideas, and for my hands to steady up.

James K

Member In Memoriam
You might see if you have a worn cutoff wheel for the Dremel so it is smaller and less likely to hit the slide. Other than that, I have no better idea.

Good luck.

Jim