Need help with Colt Defender .45 FTFs :(

Pendragon

Yesterday at the range, I was getting quite a few FTFs (weapon cycles, gun is in battery, empty chamber)

and also quite a few misfeeds (fed round is pointing up through the ejection port) and partial feeds (nose of round is against top opening of chamber, pointing too far up to go in)

I was using UMC ball ammo, Winchester personal defense ammo and Wolf russian ammo. (all 230gr)

The first time at the range, the UMC ball worked 100% (100rounds) and I fired 300 rounds of Wolf and had about 6 or so stoppages.

This time the failures in all ammo types was too many to count but the Wolf actually seemed to be the best while the Win. JHPs were absolutely horrible. (I think they are too short...?)

The defender only has a 3" barrel so I wonder if it is just highly ammo sensitive

Also - I am using factory Colt magazines - I have 2 and it happened on both mags.

Does anyone have any suggestions? it did seem to be much worse when my (female) cousin shot it - I am very big, and she is very petite so she may not have been holding it tight enough - but i think I was holding it properly...

argh!

:(

Daddycat

I had trouble with the wolf 45 acp ammo. Won't use it anymore. The coating on it was labeled problematic by a smith at the range I was at. FWIW
Daddycat

RickB

Do the malfunctions happen more often on that last couple of rounds in the mag? It sounds like a weak mag spring; changing magazine brands may or may not help. Wolff makes replacement springs.