Need help with CMMG questions

wbw

My LGS has a CMMG MK4 Multi that is being sold as used but never fired. This particular MK4 is supposed to be a discontinued model, according to the GS owner, and I don't see this model on CMMG's website. There are MK4s on the website but none that look like this one. The rifle has a heavy stainless steel barrel with a cylindrical hand guard. No sights but rail on top for optics. I'm in the market for a semi-auto in 5.56 and this is a neat looking gun and I'm real interested.

First question is, the 'Multi' that is stamped on the receiver, is that typical of CMMG instead of stamping .223 or 5.56? That has me a little concerned.

Any reason not to make a move on this? I've done some searching but don't see much about CMMG MK4s.

I can get this one for $775.

Thanks for any help.

Microgunner

I believe "MULTI" indicates the lower receiver was sold alone as a project rifle part. No factory determination of caliber was made because the builder would determine caliber.
This is what I've been led to believe.
This is most likely a project rifle which could be a good or bad thing.

wbw

I stopped at the gun store again today. They have the box for the gun and the serial number on the box matches the number on the rifle. So I'm making my move. I put a deposit down and will probably pick it up later this week.
I took a picture with my phone but it failed to upload.

ingEneer22

I always thought that "MULTI" was used to denote that both .223 Rem and 5.56 NATO can be fired safely. Instead of putting one or the other, they just use MULTI.

DaleA

Don't forget us after you've had some range time with the gun. It's always nice to see how these things play out. I'm guess it'll be good. Also please mention what you decide to do about sights.