Need help with choosing extra mags for my AR

gearchecker

I'm looking to get a few extra 20 & 30 round mags for my DPMS AR-15 .223 rifle.
Are their any brands to avoid, or any that are high on the should buy list?
I'm thinking about Magpul,Pro-Mag or Tapco. Opinions on these brands?
Are there any other brands I should strongly consider?
Links to quality mags would be appreciated also.

Appreciate the help on this.
gearchecker

boomboomthump

PMags are the way to go IMO. They are light, durable, have the dust covers, and offered with or without sight windows. Area51Tactical.com had 10 window Pmags about a year ago for $170 shipped. I jumped on that in a hurry. I'm sure there others on the market that will do the job however it seems that more and more AR owners are going to the PMags.

MisterPX

OF your 3 options presented, go with the Pmags.

Also consider USGI mags, for about half the price of pmags.

ClydeFrog

Magpul, HK(416), brands....

I'm not big into M4s, ARs or "battle rifles" at this time.
Time, training resources and $$$ being the main issues. :(
If I were looking for some serious, well made AR magazines I'd snag a few HK 416(fits in ARs/M-16s), the popular Magpul or the cool, high tech model I saw that goes from green to yellow to red so you can keep track of your rifle rounds at a quick glance. ;)
Im not sure of the exact brand name or price but it may be here: www.Brownells.com www.Cheaperthandirt.com www.NatchezSS.com .

Brownells is a great shooting sports/gear company and puts out a entire printed catalog of AR parts, magazines and related accessories.

All the best:
Clyde F

gearchecker

P-Mags are on the way.

I ended up ordering 4 30 round P-Mags. I didn't spend the extra money on the mags with the count indicators. I figure, when it doesn't go bang any more it'll be time to put in another full mag. The P-Mag is where everybody was going, so I figure it's going to be worth the few bucks they cost in the end.
This rifle is for fun anyway. It's not like I'm going to be facing a bunch of zombies, or my In-laws soon.

Thanks for all the help,
gearchecker

jim10017

ar mags

C products makes stainless steel teflon coated mags with the anti-tilt followers for a VERY reasonable price. Go to CDNN.com, they sell them for agreat price.

gregjc9

Another vote for the PMags. And to stay away from Pro-Mags. :barf: I was in dire need of a mag, and bought a couple Pro-mags. The lips had spread out from the git-go, and wouldnt hold the rounds. One of them now had duct tape wrapped around it and it's used in the vice to hold my ARs.

kymarkh

Pmags and Lancers are nice - I bought 2 of each and have been testing them for the last few months and really like them. I think they will last a long time. In the past i've bought many USGI mags from Bravocompanyusa.com and have been pleased with them also - that's where I buy all of my AR stuff.