Need help with a WWII vintage Walther P-38

the45er

I have a friend who passed away a year ago and I met with his son to take some firearms to sell for him. One was a Walther P38 that I have identified as a 4th gen Spreewerk version. It looks as if this might be one of the more common WWII vintage P-38's but I would sure like some help with a range of values. I'd rate the gun 80% NRA. Works fine and it darned good shape for a 78 year old pistol but it's not ANIB! LOL

Is it a $600, $1000 or $2000 gun? I'd like to have some idea before I put it on the market.

veprdude

Ballpark $1000 for a common one with typical wear and intact eagles. Mags with proofing marks go for about $200.

Post-war P-38s are selling currently in the $500-600 range from surplus gun vendors.

44caliberkid

A Spreewerk P-38 is not a Walther P-38. Wartime P-38’s were produced by Walther, Mauser, and Spreewerk. The Spreewerk guns were produced by slave labor and are the poorest quality P-38’s made. This article should help you.
https://www.circa1941.com/post/not-all-p-38s-are-walthers-how-to-date-your-spreewerk-p-38

I have a Spreewerk P-38 that I paid $350 for about 10 years ago. I’m currently following one in an online auction that is at $550 (Kramer Sales) and I expect it to fetch about $600 to $650 when it closes. Ad another 15% to that for buyers premium. The guy who sold me my pistol is a big WW 2 collector and was selling off some of his seconds and excess. Lately he has been asking to buy it back, which got me interested in current values. My wife has informed me we are keeping it and I agree.

44 AMP

Staff
Spreewerk P.38s are the roughest finished. Spreewerke produced them during the last year and a half of the war, and cut every corner they could while still producing a serviceable pistol.

There is an "unofficial" warning among collectors/shooters that Spreewerk guns may have issues with the safety due to poorly made parts.

Mauser produced P.38s from 42 on, and while Spreewerke was in production only about half as long, they produced about as many pistols.

Other than those collectors who seek one to complete their set, Spreewerk (cyq code) are the least desirable wartime P.38s.

Today its probably a $600 gun but would likely bring $1000 (or more) at auction. Actual Walthers (ac code) then Mausers (byf code) and lastly Spreewerk (cyq) is the usual collector preference.

Good luck with the one you have. If you are shooting it, shoot ONLY standard pressure 115 or 124gr loads. DO NOT shoot anything +p or higher pressure.