Need help w/ cowboy style lever rifle Marlin vs Uberti 1873

orsogato

Hi all.

I'm making up for the serious lack of any "old west" style guns in my inventory.

As far as lever action rifles go, I'm looking at two guns right now. A Marlin Cowboy in .45lc for ~$799 and an Uberti 1873 20 inch octagonal bbl .45lc rifle for ~$1050.

To be honost, I really like the case coloring - fit and finish, and over all look of the Uberti. It seems to be pretty decent quality. It also doesn't have any modern "lawyer" safeties on it.

The Marlin's advantage is that I perceive it to be more "tank" like in terms of its durability, and it is about $250 or so less (money is always an object). I don't like the additional cross bolt safety. just because it is less "western" authentic.

I'm set on .45lc because it is pretty easy to reload, and I don't shoot CAS, so I don't want a "wimpy" .38 special.

Is the Uberti durable? Any complaints about them etc. Is it worth the extra $$.

Thanks for opinions / help.

warbirdlover

the Uberti's I looked at the other day were nothing short of gorgeous. But the prices on those were in the $1300-1500 range.

Bamashooter

Uberti is twice as good if not more than the marlin. Pay the higher price and get a quality rifle from the get go and you will not be disappointed.

Crunchy Frog

You are looking at the two best choices, in my opinion. The Uberti has a classic look, especially the case colored versions.

The Uberti is the top choice of cowboy shooters because the "toggle link" action can be made to work very smoothly and quickly.

The solid fixed receiver of the Marlin is more suitable for mounting a scope (I never cared for a scoped lever gun but fome folks like them).

orsogato

Thanks for responses. I do not intend to mount a scope on this type of rifle. So that would not be an issue

Bamashooter,

I like your line of reasoning.

cpt-t

lever gun choice

If I understood correctly: you said you were not going to shoot cowboy action and that is where the Uberti 1873 would really shine the 1873 is suppose to be one of the fastest rifles going for the sport, but you are not going to do that. The case hardening is really great I will be the first to agree and the 73 sure looks like a cowboy gun . But the toggle system is weak I am told. The Marlin on the other hand is a (( TANK )) like you said and should last you and your grand kids a lifetime. My Son & I shoot 2 1894CB`S 24in Hex barrel not only for the cowboy shoots but we hunt wild pigs and shoot the hot Corbon and Garret (( i belive )) loads. WE are real Marlin fans but we have other 45 long colt rifles as well. I would pick the Marlin to hunt with It has we think really good sights and there is a fancey grade rifle if that is important to you . Good luck on picking your rifle. ken

BODAME

Lever Action Long Guns

Nothing wrong with Marlin, Winchester, Puma, Taurus and several other Mfgs. My choice is a Uberti.
I shoot Cowboy Action and have never had one let me down .
Below is a Uberti 1873 Model 20 Inch Short Rifle in 45 Colt

Hagen

Last edited:

gak

Between the two, Uberti. Look for one gently used. They're out there. I'll in throw another for your coinsideration. IF the Marlin price ends up being the overriding factor, since you do not intend to scope it to begin with, I'd pick a Rossi 92 ($400-600) or Chiappa 1892--Cimarron/Taylors ($850-1000) over the Marlin. Of the Rossis, ideally I'd look for a pre safety EMF aka "Hartford" 1892. Although the 1892 Winchester these are based on occurred after most of the "West was won," they we're still around for some of it, and especially because of TV and movies they carry the Old West cache better than the Marlin IMO. Very strong, smooth actions. Speaking of 1892s, you could pick up a new actual Win 92 in the Chiappa-Uberti range. Japanese (Miroku) made which means absolutely top quality.

Bigfatts

I would go with the Uberti myself. I have wanted an 1873 fom the first time I watched an old western with my Pappy. If I could afford one, it would be in my safe. If not the Uberti, the Cimarron. The Marlin doesn't stack up IMO.

TriumphGuy

I'm not trying to sound like a fanboy here, but if you want a rifle based on a piece of American history, why buy one made in Italy or Japan?

There are plenty of old Marlins and Winchesters (to a lesser degree) in the OP's price range and I've yet to see an Uberti that will outshoot either. The Marlin's have the added advantage of a wider range of sight options like a Williams peep or a sturdy scope mount on the top of the receiver where it belongs. I see them pretty regularly in the $500 price range for models built from the late 60's on up.

Bigfatts

Well the Italy and Jap reproductions are just nicer guns than a run of the mill Marlin or Winchester, that is definately not to say that either Marlins or Winchesters are not decent enough guns, but if I were to have an iconic lever action it would not be a Marlin or a Win 94. Mine would actually be one of the Miroku Winchester 1895's in .405, but that's neither here nor there. The imported guns are- a lot of the time- just higher grade guns, better finishes, better wood and the actual craftsmanship and durability is just as good too. I understand buying American made, but no reason to not buy something that's maybe better and more what you want just because it's made somewhere else.

hodaka

I like the look of the Uberti. That said, the Marlin safety can be easily replaced with a replacement bolt that returns the Marlin to the pre-safety design.

Txhillbilly

Buy the Uberti,It's twice the rifle of any of the other cheap ones.
It'll shoot anything you put in it,and you'll really enjoy shooting it.
I've got a 1873,1866,and 1860 Henry Uberti's,the 60/66 have brass receivers so they can only be fed cowboy loads,but the 73 will shoot anything.

ak-kev

Thats funny, I went to the gun show this weekend with the same idea as you. I was going after a Marlin because I knew I could never afford a Uberti. I looked at several 94's and 95's but then spyed a 1866 Yellowboy Uberti.......... I dont have the words..........Simply incredible..........I bought it even though I told myself I would'nt spend that much money. These Uberti's are absolutely top-shelf. There is nothing wrong with Marlin and I will probably own one some day, but my focus now is on the Uberti clones. I have several Uberti revolvers and I knew they were very nice but, I didnt think they would be this smooth and slick. I am just tickled pink:D If you decide to go Uberti, you WILL NOT be disappointed. Kevin.