Need Help: Uninstall/Reinstall Mossberg SG Stock

ddelange

Ok, I'm an idiot, but have to ask before I start scratching my Moss up: How do you get the stock off? How do you get a new one on? I don't see any screws or attachments that need to be removed; it seems to be a simple and tight pull-over. If so, what's the best way to pull one off/on?

thanks for any tips

woodland

There should be two screws holding the but plate, or recoil pad on. Pull the plate or pad off, and there will be a hole into the end of the stock. You will need a ratchet and extension, and there is a bolt tha t goes into the back off the reciever. I think it takes a 1/2" socket.
I'm assuming you are talking about the butt stock, of course. If you are talking about the fore grip, is it a pump? If so, you have to take the slide off, and then there is a ring on the front end that screws off the slide tube. Then the grip slides off.
Hope this helps.

ddelange

Haven't tried yet, because I'm still looking at new stocks. . . but the stock does have the two screw holes on the recoil pad you mention. Thanks for checking back. . . I'll let you know when the job is done/or needs more help.

Poodleshooter

Go get a large flathead screwdriver about 12" long for the stock bolt that lies underneath the recoil pad. Take the pad off and use a flashlight to make sure that the stock bolt is a flathead screw and not a hex head as woodland stated-I can't recall very well. Recoil pad screws are Phillips.