Need help, shells fit tight in 22LR Cylinder

msta999

I have a Virginian 22 single action revolver and the 22 shells fit tight in the cylinder holes. I have try'd using steel wool with a drill and it helped some, but they are still too tight. The bullets will drop in most of the way, but you have to push them down, the last 1/8 - 1/4 inch with a little force. Then if you fire a few, seems like it gets stickier when it warms up.

Any recommendations?

Hawg

Might possibly be a carbon ring from firing shorts. A bronze brush in a drill and bore cleaner should remove it if that's what it is.

jaguarxk120

It's the wax lube left behind from the 22 caliber bullet, they have a wax coating on them.

I just run a 22 cal. brass brush through the chambers to clean them out.

James K

Member In Memoriam
If cleaning doesn't help, the chambers might really be too tight. Ask a gunsmith how much it would cost to run a .22 LR reamer into the chambers.

Jim

jaguarxk120

You can also clean off the excess wax from your shells before loading them. That way the excess wax won't build up in the chambers.

Stumper

Some guns have their chambers cut for a press fit. There may be nothing wrong at all. I have an old Iver Johnson Sealed 8 that was simply designed that way.

ISC

I would definately try a few different types of cartridges before doing anything that can't be reversed.