Need help selecting a "car" gun

Romeo 33 Delta

We're within days for concealed carry here in Wisconsin and I'm at the point where I need to come up with a "car gun". I'm disabled to the point where I still drive, but won't be walking around with my wife when she's in the mood for some "serious" shopping.

I'm thinking of something like a 2" snubbie in .38 Special or maybe a little Walther PP in either .32 or .380.

What do you folks think? Part of me likes the revolver because I can cock better than I can pull a slide (part of the disability) ... though I still can do it.

Cheapshooter

A revolver would be a good choice considering your disability. If you are not planning on carrying concealed on your person, you don't have to limit your self to a 2" snubbie. A 4" barreled revolver would have a bit more potential for accuracy, and possibly less felt recoil.
What ever you decide, if it is to be left in the car while not occupied by all means get a secured lock box that can be attached to a seat frame or other substantial part of the interior. Do not leave it unprotected in a glove box or console.

Lee McNelly

CAR GUN

They environment of the vehicle is one on the harshest you can come by

i too have a have a hard time w slide and would prefer a wheelgun but sometimes i leave the slide back w a loaded mag in them others will ? This but if it your only what a fellow to do or i have a few wheel guns in 45 or 41 mag that
i have around the house following me

take a look at one called the judge i say this w reservations cause ive seen and heard some bad things about it

maybe get a gun in stainless if you can second a gun that you can handle size wise and caliber practice practice practice and know the weapon inside out

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=257801938

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=256891692

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=257847674

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=257847887

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=256918761

Last edited:

black mamba

The way I see it, the biggest problem for a car gun is getting it in a position where you even have the slightest chance for an aimed shot. Cramped, steering wheel in the way, seat belt on, it's just tough.

I would go with the Ruger LCR with Crimson Trace laser grips, so you can just point and shoot from your lap and still hit what you intend to.

Doyle

I've always thought that the ideal car gun was something "cheaper" than I would want to carry. The class of guns that meets that definition while still being of decent quality are the surplus 9x18s. P-64s, PA-63s, Makarovs, and CZ-82s are all very well made and are generally quite affordable. The P-64s and PA-63s tend to fit in a console box a little better that the other two (which are more of a full-sized weapon).

spacecoast

My car gun is a finish-challenged nickeled S&W Model 10-5 .38 special (K frame snubbie) that fits very nicely in the center console. I use nickel plated ammo because brass ammo will get green in the heat and humidity, and will hang up in the cylinder (I know this for a fact).

DSC01429.jpg

carguychris

I agree with Doyle. One issue with the Walther PP is that pretty much all of the old ones are becoming collectible now, and prices are going up. Much better values can be found if you look at milsurp 9x18 pistols. If you like .32ACP and .380ACP, I would check out some of the relatively unloved postwar European commercial pistols such as the CZ-70, CZ-83, Mauser HSc, Beretta 70, and the commercial "Baikal IJ-70" version of the military Makarov.

chris in va

Just be sure not to leave it in the car on a permanent basis. Great way for it to end up on the streets, getting used in a less than honorable fashion.:cool:

What ever you decide, if it is to be left in the car while not occupied by all means get a secured lock box that can be attached to a seat frame or other substantial part of the interior. Do not leave it unprotected in a glove box or console.

Exactly.

spacecoast

I prefer to protect mine with a locked door and raised windows, but disagreements on this issue are not unknown. ;)

BTW, I've been driving for 30+ years and have never had a break-in. Of course, I make sure my garage has enough room to park as well.

Last edited:

Cheapshooter

I prefer to protect mine with a locked door and raised windows, but disagreements on this issue are not unknow

Locked doors, and rolled up windows don't do anything to protect theft from smash and grab thieves. In my opinion it is irresponsible to leave a fire arm in a car only secured by the door locks. It only takes me a minute to get my gun out of the secured box when I get in the car. I actually didn't want to bring up what is secured in the box, and also with one of those cable gun locks looped through the securing cable. My mention of my anti-carjacking device would open another can of worms on the subject in it's own....Oh well, Taurus Public Defender Poly. Two Winchester PDX1 410 rounds first up followed by three 45 LC PDX 1 250 gr HP rounds. It gets unlocked from the box, and placed in a cheap holster that was designed for Airsoft pistols. the holster has Velcro straps that when folded open secure it to the cloth of the seat between the drivers seat and the center console. Very accessible, as if releasing the seat belt. When I leave the vehicle, it gets secured back in the lock box, and cable.

PT-92

Romeo 33 Delta

Need help selecting a "car" gun
We're within days for concealed carry here in Wisconsin...Part of me likes the revolver because I can cock better than I can pull a slide (part of the disability) ... though I still can do it.

First things first--Hats off to all fellow WI. CCW Holders! It's about time (that State has swung left for a long-time but appears to be coming back to the center).

Because of your aforementioned problem of racking a slide, I would do just as you say and get a little snubbie in either .38 or .357 (you can always use .38's in the 357 if the increased recoil of the magnum adversely affects you).

The only semi I know would work with your issue of racking the slide would be one of these which has a tip-up barrel and does not require a rack (the trade-off is small caliber in either .25ACP or .22lr):

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=600&category=Pistol&toggle=tp&breadcrumbseries=SF1

http://www.berettausa.com/products/model-21-bobcat/

-Cheers

joegator

I'd go with a Smith 642. It conceals easily in your car and can quickly be dropped into you pocket when you need to run into a convenience store or pump gas. It is also alloy and stainless so rust won't be an issue. There are also several very effective snubbie loads available.

Romeo 33 Delta

Thanks, fellas! I've never had any problems with doors locked and windows rolled up (well, not in Summer!!!). I guess because I can't run away and our dog is always with us (little lap dog, would likely not figure on too much help if TSHTF).

It seems that things are unraveling and places which never before were problematic are now heading that way. I'm a former scout and former infantryman so I always believe in being as prepared as possible, and being prudent (don't drive into the bad part of town if you don't have to, and if you have to, don't do it at night or early morning). Still, even with the best preparations, things today are just getting far too disturbing.

You've given me some good pointers to ponder and it's appreciated!

orionengnr

Congrats to the 49th state, and congrats to you getting your CHL.

If you get something small like a 642 or especailly an LCP, there is no reason to leave it in the car. When you get out of the car, put it in your pocket (in a pocket holster) and you need never go unarmed.

I am another one who does not believe in arming BGs, so I don't have a "car" gun. My gun is in the vehicle when I am, and on my hip when I'm not.

Sheikyourbootie

If you like the 32 ACP (I don't) but there is the Baretta Tomcat. Has a tip up barrel and does NOT require you to be able to pull back the slide. One of my patients kept that as his nightstand gun, as he was too severely arthritic to pull back the slide.

Wyosmith

The best all around "car gun" you can get is probably a short AK-47 with a folding stock. Not a hand gun, but a short carbine or a "legal pistol" which is actually a carbine cut down with no stock. However in some testing I did with a few friends who work for a large western City's SWAT team, we found that a carbine with a folder was best all around.

Anyway....my point is this;
If you are not carrying the weapon on your body, making it small is NOT an advantage. Rifles trump handguns. A 7.62X39 out of a short barrel loaded with soft point ammo is about 90% of a 30-30 Winchester "deer rifle" which means you are very well armed and if you needed to you can shot through your own doors and auto body to get a bad-guy who is now using your own car as a defensive barrier to attack you.

A heavy caliber handgun in 357, 41 or 44 magnum would also be good, but not as good as a carbine. For a car-gun I'd stay away from the 223s because they don't kill well after going through auto bodies in comparison to the 7.62X39 Russian round. The heavy handgun rounds with heavy bullets do much better too.

Anyway, if you are going to carry the weapon with a car instead of on your body, there is NO NEED to make it small. Look at every army in the world. See if you can find one that issues handguns INSTEAD of rifles. You can't can you?
There is a good reason for that.

PT-92

Today, 10:05 AM #18
Wyosmith

Anyway, if you are going to carry the weapon with a car instead of on your body, there is NO NEED to make it small.

I think your synopsis is applicable in many situations, but not this particular one in that he has hand pain issues that most likely call for a small frame solution.

-Cheers

spacecoast

Wyosmith -

You make some very good points, I learned early on that the best gun is usually the largest one that physically fits in the confinements of the space. Hence something larger than a J-frame pistol for HD, etc.

However, even a short AK would be hard to conceal/secure in a car, and I would be hard pressed to fire an AK from within a car-like vehicle with any kind of decent shoulder/stock position and have hopes of hitting anything, so I assume you are talking about firing the weapon from outside the vehicle. Not to mention the ear-splitting properties of the 7.62x39 shot in an enclosed space. :eek: