Need Help: S&W Mod. 29 Nickel Finish Upkeep

TNT_Shooter

Folks,

Any good suggestions on getting Nickel to shine? What do you use to maintain a nickel finish? What should you NOT use to maintain nickel?

I have a mint S&W 29-3 nickel that I want to make sure continues to look great.

Thanks in advance for any help!

TNT

BigJimP

I have several Nickel guns ( model 29's, 19's, etc ) / and the only thing I do is to keep Amonia cleaning products away from the finish because I understand it'll attack the base metal ( copper or zinc, I forget what the base metal is under Nickel.. ) under the Nickel if there is a small crack in the Nickel.

The primary product I use to clean all my guns is Shooter's Choice shotgun and choke tube cleaner ( handguns too ). It doesn't attack the finish on the grips and does a good job on the bores - and I clean the outside of the guns with it too.

About twice a year, I was my revolvers - and I've used a variety of waxes - Flitz is popular, but I think any carnuba wax is probably fine.

CDH

Try simichrome polish, it works wonders!

+1
That's what I use on my Nickle Model 29, but any chrome polish should work without hurting the finish.

If I'm not mistaken, Nickle is "sort of" like the chrome on an old-time car bumper. :rolleyes: ;)

cohoskip

Nickel is not like chrome. On auto bumpers there is a three part plating process. First copper, then nickel, then chrome. It is the nickel under the chrome that makes it last and not rust through. I would assume that there is also copper under the nickel on a firearm.

(I worked as a plater in a previous life)...

Bill DeShivs

There is no copper underplate on the S&Ws. Clean them as you would a blued gun. Don't leave any cleaning solution on them for too long-just clean, wipe off, and oil.
Polishing nickel is not something you should do often. While nickel is a very durable finish, you can polish it off.
Gently using Simichrome once or twice will probably be OK, but don't use it more than that. Chrome polish should not be used. Flitz, Mother's, or Simichrome should be OK for one time polishing.

shortwave

Most motorcyle shops carry semi-chrome. Neverdull is another product that I`ve used sparingly on nickel finish`s

Tom2

Bore solvents that are aggresive on copper fouling might be likewise on Nickel plate, so beware using any ammonia based cleaners, maybe, and don't soak it for long. Nickel looks pretty but is worrisome to me, I stick to stainless steel.