Need Help!/Range report mini-14

PTS1

Well I just took out my brand new mini-14 to the range and have good news and bad news. The good news is that after sighting-in the buckmaster 4x40 fixed power (got it for $99 at Natchezz close-out, what a deal) I shot two consecutive 1.75 inch 3 shot groups. I know, this is not tackdriver groups, but for a mini-14 with UMC ammo, I was very happy. I am sure with some hand loads, I can get that to 1.5 inches. Anyway, the bad news. The very last round of the 20-round mag got pinched as the bolt cycled with the bullet facing the throat and the primer end of the shell sticking out. (see photo of cartridge with dent) Also, as I was picking up the brass, I noticed that about half of them were dented-in at the mouth (also see photo). Anybody know what is causing the dents and the misfeed? Can the brass be reloaded? Thanks in advance for any info.

attachment.php

Attachments

• HPIM1206.JPG
    HPIM1206.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:

OLNfan

improperly seated magazine or ammo in the magazine perhaps? Maybe give it a real good cleaning aswell. perhaps its your ammo what were you using? what have you done to your rifle latley? check your bolt out and make sure its real clean. thats all I can think about of my head good luck! hopefully some one else can provide something.

Last edited:

Joat

Welcome to the world of the Mini-14.:p

The last round hang-up is usually caused by one of a couple of things. A rough mag follower or a weak mag spring. The round is not stripped cleanly from the mag, causing it to get mangled in the action. Either slowed by the rough spots or not being pushed up fast enough to be fed cleanly.

The dented case mouths are caused by the brass rotating 180 degrees and striking the receiver during ejection.

The first is easily fixed by removing the burrs and ridges on the follower or replacing the spring. If you find a cure for the second let me know.

Joat

pbrktrt

Joat, a reduced pressure gas bushing normally cures the brass hitting op-rod handle problem. they come in sets of 3 different sizes & tame the aggressive action on the mini. an added bonus is your brass lands in a neat little pile 5-6 ft. away. check out PerfectUnion.com for anything mini related.

Joat

Thanks pbrktrt, I forgot about those gas bushings.
I tried some a few years ago and couldn't get the system to "balance" and had some function issues. This was during the time of $115.00/1000 WWB .223 so I wasn't reloading and didn't care if the case mouths were dented, as once they left the gun, I never saw them again.:D

Joat