Need Help picking a rifle

Skeetin'870

There is a gun show coming up this weekend and I would like a good plinking rifle. Bolt action would be prefered and I have plenty of .22s all your help is appreciated. I also would like a gun that fires .30 but not a Lee enfield I cant afford to pay for .303. Cheap ammo is a must.

locked'n'cocked

how about a savage in .223 for really cheap ammo or if you want a .30 get a .308 and shoot surplus. either way i would go with a savage for sure. very reliable and accurate gun.

fanoblack

Maybe a Nagant or a Mauser? Surplus ammo is cheap for both. I know gun shows up there are rich in Nagants. Where is this one at, fairgrounds?

fanoblack

Clayfish

Mausers are super cheap to buy and shoot . You can pick one up for <100 and a case of ammo for around 50. so with $150 you can be in buisness. Plus you can customize a mauser and make a really nice hunting rifle. Be careful as the surplus 8mm ammo is corrosive.

CarbineCaleb

Some Favs

If you like bolt-actions, an intriguing bolt action is the CZ carbine:
http://www.cz-usa.com/01.detail.php?id=15

It's a nice handy size, and chambered in both .223 and 7.62x39 (.30 cal)... both of which have inexpensive, widely available ammunition. The 7.62 isn't really a long-range round though - if you are looking for 500 yard shots.

In handguns, for pleasure shooting, I like the Beretta 92 Vertec or Brigadier in semiauto 9mm; and actually, for pleasure, I prefer the D/A revolver to the semi, and I really like the S&W 686 .357Magnum/.38Special, and the S&W 617 .22LR - both of these are nice in either 4" or 6", with the 6" a little better at the range, and the 4" a little handier. All of these use inexpensive, widely available ammunition.

Skeetin'870

In my arsenal I have a Stevens whippet model c bolt action .22. A semi auto 22 and another savage bolt .22. I have a lever action savage 300 savage. a mosin nagant m38. and a muzzleloader .50 and .54

fanoblack

Clayfish, I don't know where you live but I wish Mausers were 100 around here. The cheapest I saw at our largest gunshow was $250. With Nagants $90-$120.

If you are familiar with handguns, then I would recommend a 9mm. Easy on the wallet and light on recoil. This means some decent time on the range with a fun gun. I own and recommend a Walther P99, but there are some great nines out there. Hi Powers are good, similar to a 1911 but in 9mm. Beretta/Tauras 92 (current military issue), Glocks (not a fan of their trigger, but still a good gun). CZ makes some good pistols too. For some classics there are always Lugers and P38/P01s.

If you're not familiar with handguns, I would recommend a .22 pistol. Very, Very mild recoil and cheap ammo. I would recommend a Ruger Mk II/III or a Browning Buckmark. Both are solid guns with decent triggers.

fanoblack

Skeetin'870

Should I try to get a mosin nagant 91/30 a friend of mine has one and it is fun to shoot but the bolt will not open with out a heavy slap. Is this a well known problem or is it just his gun.

tlb3sons

about your whippet 22....

i just purchased a " j stevens " model c whippet 22 for my 12 yr old son. i have completley refinished this little rifle, and was wodering if you had any info on it, like possible year(s) of manufacture. thanks.

DAWGTRAXX

just got a flyer from jgsales.com
M44 with acc. and bayonet 69.95
m91 with acc. and bayonet 64.95
mauser m1938 with bayonet 64.95
swiss k31 84.95
yugo sks with grenade launcher and bayonet 99.95

i want one of everything:D