Need Help Loading 380's

KJr

I can't seem to find the "Happy Medium" when belling my 380's. Either they aren't belled enough for the bullet, or the die puts a bulge in the casing. I set the die and only half are belled properly. Suggestions???

Dave R

You want the minimum bell to allow the bullet to seat, so start too tight and screw the die down in small increments, maybe half turn, until it seats.

I don't know any magic other than that.

KJr

Tried that 3 times, the end result is always 1/2 bells correctly 1/2 get a bulge in the casing. Thanks, any other suggestions???

RidgwayCO

Is the brass all the same headstamp, or "mixed." Are they all the same (or close to the same) length?

I know Federal .380 Auto brass now has a "step" on the inside of the case to help prevent bullet setback. Could this be getting hit by your flare stem?

Sorry... so far all questions and no answers.

KJr

The brass IS mixed and the federals bulge every time.

I bought my RCBS 380 auto dies on E-Bay. Now when I have started loading, I'm having trouble with the expander die. The die has RCBS 38 cal. stamped on the side, is this the correct die????

Dave R

A couple of thoughts.

1. Over-crimping can cause bulging, too...

2. That .38 die may not be the right one. Its probably for .38spcl. I've never loaded that, so I dunno if there's a significant difference. But my dies are marked .380acp.

RidgwayCO

If it's just the Federal cases with the internal step that are bulging, then I think that's your problem. Segregate them out from the rest.

The bulging may not be a problem if you use a Lee Factory Crimp die as your last step. It will post size each round and should remove the bulge. Not elegant but satisfactory.

You might also try a different flare die, like the Lyman M die. It may be able to flare the case without getting so far down into the case that it hits the internal step. I also doubt that the Lee Pro Auto Disk powder-through expander die will get that far down into the case, but I'll have to check.

You've got me a little concerned now, because I've been shooting up a case of Federal .380 Auto I purchased a couple of years ago planning on reusing the brass. If that Federal brass with the internal step is going to cause me trouble reloading, I might have to make different plans.

There is nothing magic about the expander die. If the tip extends too deeply for the Federal step, take it out of the die and use a bench grinder to taper it so it misses the step, but leaves the flare portion alone. you could even grind a mirror profile for the step into the tip.

Another possibility is to call RCBS and describe the problem. They may send you a correct part free of charge. They have been known to be generous.

Slip Shooter

Is the step you all mention in the Federal .380 brass an actual step, meaning two diameters within the case wall, or is it a cannelure impressed in the outside case wall creating a bullet stop inside?

In my experience, cannelures have a tendency to iron themselves out and not interfere with reloaded cartridges.

Looks like all my fired brass is Win., Rem. or FC nickle with cannelure. May be that newer Federal has a step inside I am not aware of.

Last edited:

Randy 1911

I just looked at my RCBS 380 dies. The expander is labeled 9mm. Having bought them off E-Bay, I think you got a bad set of dies. Call RCBS and maybe they will send you the proper expander. Even if you have to pay for it you will have the problem fixed. The 380acp/9mm has a expander that is .355. The 38 is .357.

jimkim

Buy a Lee factory crimp Die.

Lee Pistol Crimp Dies make it impossible to buckle the case as with regular roll crimp dies. Even bullets which have no cannelure will shoot more accurately if crimped with this die. Makes powder selection less critical. The carbide sizer, which was made to fit most popular pistol calibers, sizes the cartridge while it's being crimped, so every round will positively chamber freely with factory-like dependability. Adjusting screw easily sets the desired amount of crimp. Crimper cannot be misadjusted to make a case mouth too small for proper head-space.
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0012803210539a.shtml#customer-product-reviews