Need help in deciding on 357

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Dave

Hi:

I've had a hankering for a big ole 357 for many years.

Some of you may know me from the bladeforums. Well, I could get another custom knife or something that will blow my ears out.

I've had a sig 226 for about 9 years. It's been great. But, after hearing the roar of the 357 I wanted one. Now the time is near.

Anyway, I have not kept up with the gun thing. When I looked into it in the past I was set on a S&W 686, 6", with a red ramp and I forget the rest.

Is that still a good choice?

Any features that are a must have?

How bout the 6"....thinking now about a 4". Thing is I don't plan on carrying it...just a little target practice.

Oh yea, where can I get one cheap? I may not be up on the laws...when I was 14 (30 now) I had a Ruger Mark IV mail oredered to me.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Jeff OTMG

6" 686 is a fine choice, I have one myself. You are obviously a tremendously intelligent person, of great class and discrimination. Great minds do think alike. :)

Sambonator

I used to have a 686 with a 6" barrel, but traded it in for a Dan Wesson model 40 .357 rem. max. for handgun hunting. It was an excellent revolver, and wish I had kept it. I would buy it again if I ever decide to shoot .357 mags again...

Big Dave

Oooo...I like this place!

Well, the 686 looks like a time tested tool.

How bout the options. Is there a certain grip or other features that I should get?

Thanks,

dave

Espresso

The 686 is just dandy! If you purchase one, get the seven holer (686+). HKS makes speed loaders for it.

Jeff OTMG

Grips are a personal choice. I use the Pachmayr Gripper Professional. I have a big hand but short fingers and the open backstrap lets me reach the trigger with ease.

MLT

I have owned a 686 6" for about 10 years, and it is a great, time-honored gun. You simply can't go wrong with it.

If it's the roar of the gun you desire, why not a Colt Anaconda in a 44 magnum? There may be even better choices out there to fulfill your primary objective than the relatively diminutive .357.

PeterGunn

I just purchased a Ruger GP-100 a week ago, and have absolutly fallen in love with the thing. Mine is the Stainless Steel 3" snubbie.

i looked at smith but I could not justify the cost. The Ruger is probably the most duriable .357 ever manufactured. The grips out of the box were a perfect fit (for me). In 4 or 6 inch i think a Gp-100 will give you more bang for your buck. At least check it out. If you like it, you will probably save 200.00 to 300.00 dollars.

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

Oscar

Peter,
Actually, you can purchase a brand new 686 for under $400. I agree that a GP100 is a very good alternative (very durable and, for all intents and purposes, probably just as good as the Smith) but will likewise cost a little over $300.

Ivan8883

Hi big Dave. You might have seen me on the blade forum which is a great place like here. I have a SWModel 13,4inch barrel 357Magnum with the heavy Bull barrel. I paid $275.00 got it a few years ago. it shoots great with the heavy barrel. You could save some money by getting either a Model 13 or SW Model 19 which I have owned but not with a heavy barrel. Sw is the way to go in 357 Magnum.

zot

GP-100 fixed sights, stainless, 3 inch barrel
best defense, good plinker and all around nice gun. nothing on the market can compare to strength and price, 686 costs mucho dinero
and ya still got that frame side plate that may drop a screw anytime. I just WISH that
Ruger would build a 5 shot .44 mag in a beefed up GP frame, not as large as redhawk,
3 inch barreled, fixed sight .44 mag? it
would sell!!!

Big Dave

Hi Guys,

I don't think I have enough hair on my back to handle a 44 mag.

I saw that BNJ Discount Firearms has a... 686 357 Magnum 6" Stainless 6 shot Heavy barrel $363.00.

I'll look into the ruger. They didn't have a price for the GP100.

Guess I need to find someone with a FFL to ship to. What's the normal charge by the FFL to handle the transaction?

Thanks again,

Dave

PS Ivan--ofcourse I recognize your name. I've seen some other familure names also.

Bullmoose

The original king of the 357 handguns was the early model 27's. They came in a presentation box with a certificate that included both the d/a and s/a trigger pull weights and were arguably one the finest production handguns ever made. I had a much later one, but still pinned and recessed and it was very nice also. You might want to consider one if you just want a beautiful plinker. Mine had the 8 3/8" bbl so draw your own conclusions on carry (BG). Needless to say that only Dirty Harry could hide this large of a gun. I understand that in making the movies he had both a 29 in 44 and a 357 not that it means anything, but that is what size they are. Jim

Big Dave

Hello Again,

I've got the bug dammit.

I did not find the 27 or 29 on the S&W site. Sounds interesting though.

What's the difference between the 686, 686P and 686PP.

Looks like the 686P holds 7 rounds. Any problems with that?

The 686PP looks like a more advanced model-maybe?

Think I'll go give one a test run at the local firing range this weekend.

I've got the perfect line for my wife..."I'm going to fly my kite...Hehehe.

Dave

MLT

Big Dave,

KY Imports has a GP100 for $299.99. The web address is: http://www.kyimports.com/ruger.htm# Ruger

I haven't ordered anything from them, but a number of posts in TFL have given them good reviews on service, integrity, etc.

I have not heard anything bad about the 7 shot 686+. Pretty much the same pistol as the old 686 with an additional slot. KY also has a used (very good condition) 686 with a 4" barrel and target sights for $259.

Good luck.
MLT

hankrearden98

The 686 is a great gun. You won't go wrong with it. Possibly. the only gun in this class that is better is the Ruger GP-100. It does'nt have quite as fine an action as the 686, but it is mote durable.

Ben

I saw a review in Shooting Times quite a while ago that compared the Ruger GP-100 against the S&W 686. The Ruger shot tighter groups EVERY time. They put 10,000 through both of them and the ruger turned out to be the better gun. I just know what I read.

Plus the Ruger looks better,
Ben

James K

Member In Memoriam
For packing purposes, I would prefer the Model 19 to the 686 for the weight saving. The new lightweights seem to come only with short barrels.

Also, don't completely ignore the .22. It would not be suitable in bear country, but allows fun plinking and a lot of ammo can be carried with little weight. Also, a .22 is seen as a less "offensive" weapon if there are legal problems.

Jim

cornered rat

686 plus was my choice, too. 6" barrel cuts down muzzle blast and noise. Accuracy is excellent. Long barrel counterbalances the rise a bit, and recoil is mild even with .357, minimal with .38 $400, maybe $390 for six-shot. Longer barrel invites a "lean-in" stance, much like with machine pistols. Double-action is very good (though not as GREAT as some older S&W custom wheelguns I tried), though I mostly shoot it SA. I like 5 and 7 shot guns because of where the cylinder nothces are relative to the chambers. See mine at :) http://dd-b.net/olegv/newphotos/lifesavers/s_turn-on.jpg and lots of other places on my site.

Status
Not open for further replies.