Need Help Identifying this Auto

BigMike

My inlaw gave me a plastic tub of odds and ends for the 30-06 that I am borrowing from him for hunting season. At the bottom of the tub was this pistol. It has no mag, is heavily rusty through out and especially on the slide where it is difficult for me to read the engraving. Here's what I can see so far:

Made in Spain

Automatic Pistol 7.65

Serial # 129XX

On the left side of the frame and slide near the serations are matching Lions(looks like a lion anyway), that appear to be stamped. On the frame is a shield with a X inside it, with PV stamped next to it, then one of the lions.

Has a heel mag release

The barrel shrould has "ME" with another Lion next to it on the
right.

Attachments

• image154.jpg
    image154.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 277

thisaway

I believe you have what is called a "Ruby" pistol...IIRC they are a cheap pocket-pistol and of less-than-stellar quality.

Oh yeah, that's a Ruby.

The name covers quite a few guns made by probably dozens of Spanish manufacturers, the vast majority with the same features, around WW I and up to WW II.

The French bought TONS of these guns during WW I.

Most are in .32 ACP.

Most are of moderate quality, some bad, and a few are actually quite decent.

Finding a magazine or other parts for it would likely be a 1 in a million chance encounter.

BigMike

Poor quality. My inlaw said that the last time they shot it @12 years ago, it went auto on them after 2 mags. It shot a 3 round burst and quit. Thanks for the responses.

Mike

schild

GUNLIST, Sept.27, page 99. Forrest Co. has .25 or .32 Ruby magazines for $25(probably more than the gun's worth). No model #are given. We all want to here about it's three round burst capabilities.

johnwill

Actually, MANY of the Ruby magazines interchanged, so finding a magazine for it might not be that much of a long shot. I have three of the 7.65 models of different manufacture, and the magazines interchange between them.

BigMike

Darth,

The grip panels don't have writing, they have flowery designs. The banner that "hangs" across the top part of tha panel has a flower in the middle with 2 leaves streaming out of the left and right petal. Above the banner is a semi-circle that looks like it has a smiling happy face in it. Identical on the other panel.

I have no intention of firing it!:)

Though the 3 round burst capability is intriguing, I think this hunk of metal would probably blow apart. I told my inlaw that I would see what it was and tell him. He can shoot it if he wants! Will tell him about the magazines at Forrest. Thanks again.

Mike

Russ

I'd be wearing a flack jacket and some head protection if I fired that thing. Sort of resembles Tokarev at first glance.

Penman

My Father-in-law has one that he got from his wife's brother. He brought it back from WW II, apparently a war "trophy". I think a lot of them came into the country that way. He's shot it, and at about ten yards it throws a pattern that would make a shotgun proud.

If he has any idea of its origin, there might be an interesting story in it.