Need help identifying some old rifles

raftman

I will have the opportunity to own one/some of these, but basically don't recognize any of them, all I have to go off so far is the picture, one appears to be a sporter Mosin, and no clue what the others are. Anyone who knows what any of them are, lemme know!

auct.jpg

PetahW

While the photos are not definitive, I can tell you what some generally are/look like, and what a few specifically are, from the top of the first pic.

#1 - Looks like an early 1870-ish Prussian needlegun - an early boltgun.

#2,3,4 - Pre-1892 Mauser style, or Steyr boltguns, requiring ammo in ejecting clips for magazine feed.

#5, 6, 7 - I cannot tell from the pic

#8 - A sporterized Mauser 98

#9 - A sporterized Krag, either US or Norwegian (IIRC)

#10 - Unknown to me - a sporterized version of #12 below

#11 - Looks like a Mossberg rimfire

#12 - The military version of #10 above

#13 - Looks like it might be an 1894 or 1896 Swede, sporterized

#14 - Unknown to me

#15 - The Mosin

#16 - Whatever commercial sporter

Usually, pics from the other side of the rifles help some, too.

Last edited:

raftman

Need better photos.
Need close up photos.

Wish I had better and closer photos, and photos of the other side, that would also help assess condition, but so far those pics are all that I have to go from. I'll be able to inspect in person in a few days, just would like to know what they are ahead of time, so I can look up value, and potentially whether any of them fires ammo that's readily available assuming they're in fireable condition.

jaguarxk120

Items #2 &#4 look like the 88 commission rifle in 8x57 cal., you have to check on the reciever bridge for the 's' mark to see if the rifle was altered to take standard ammo.

TEDDY

there are carcanos #3+4
and commision 88s #2+8
mossberg #11
chec zb ?/ #13
mosin #15
the rest to hard to tell but some mausers of different models.:rolleyes:

raftman

I've seen them in person now, and will get a more thorough look tomorrow. Still can't identify all of them, and the guy offering them up knows even less than I do. Thus far, I want #8 the most, it's actually a Mexican version of the Mauser from the 1930's, which if I am not mistaken it's in 7x57, the bore looks quite good and the rest of the rifle is admirable shape, actually don't recall having seen any Mauser in person in such good shape. It also comes with a scope, which is included, but not affixed.

So here's the follow up question: if we're to call the condition VG+, keeping in mind it's sporterized, has the scope mount, and includes scope (though I forgot to see what kind), what is a reasonable amount to pay?

Last edited:

PetahW

$300-up, +/-, depending upon the scope, AND if it's a 7x57 (a LOT less if it's not).

JMO, but I would consider any scope, except one by a major player like Leupold/etc, to have little or no dollar value bearing on a deal.

That looks like a funky/odd sort of scope mount/rail in the pic - or is it a side mount ?