Need help identifying marks on a springfield 1903a3 i just bought

MissingMonster

Hello everyone need some help identifying markings on a springfield 1903a3 I just picked up everything seems all original but the rear sights are a lyman sight that I don't have an idea on I was wondering if I can get a some more info here is all the pictures I've been told that its been bubba'd with the rear sight but trying to get more information https://imgur.com/a/SrtcNFG here is the link to all the pictures

Dfariswheel

You have a 1903, not an '03A3.
The A3 had a rear sight on the rear of the receiver that closely resembles an M1 Carbine sight.
The 03A3 rifles would be so stamped on the receiver, yours is 1903.

The barrel is a 1944 High Standard, so the rifle was likely rebarreled during WWII Service.

The "P" on the barrel is a Proof mark.
Most other stamps are normal factory inspection stamps.
Workers did inspections during the manufacturing steps and stamped their stamps on the rifle.

"R" stamps indicate parts built by Remington. When rifles are rebuilt or repaired, Ordnance made no attempt to keep original makers parts, whatever was handy was used.

The stock is the so called "scant" stock with a partial pistol grip.

The sight cover is a normal GI cover often put on service rifles to protect the sight.

The receiver and barrel appear to have the standard WWII Parkerized finish, but the floor plate on the trigger guard looks like it's been polished and blued.

The rear sight on the receiver is a commercial Lyman aperture (peep) rear sight added after the rifle was sold as surplus.
These are very nice sights and were a popular addition for hunters and target shooters.

44 AMP

Staff
The Lyman sight appears to be correctly mounted done with a level of skill that "Bubba" doesn't have.

Over the generations there have been tens, perhaps hundreds of thousands of skilled individuals both professional and amateur that have done fine quality gunsmith work. They and their work don't deserve to be called "bubba" and particularly not just because someone disagrees with their choices TODAY.

radom

And some idiot wrecked a 2000-5000 buck rifle doing that too. It is well till buba got it a 1901-A1 and all were custom order match target guns. That was a hand finished match gun as in DCM match gun or a national match gun.

eastbank

then i,m also a idiot, as a young man working on my dads farm in the early sixties money was not growing on tree,s there. i also took a surplused o3a3 that cost me 20.00 hard earned dollars. i reworked the stock to my likeing and had it d&t with the bolt altered for the high price of 15.00. a familey friend gifted me a older weaver 4x scope(weaver bases-rings cost me 8.00). so i had 43.00 in a solid hunting rifle that beat the hell out of useing a single barrel 12 ga with slugs. at that time a rem 700 - win 70 cost 130-150 dollars. that rifle shot 165 gr bullet at 2600 fps into three shot 1.5" groups all day long.

"And some idiot wrecked a 2000-5000 buck rifle doing that too."

When that sight was added to that rifle it was enhancing a $50-$75 rifle.

That sight was likely added in the late 1940s or early 1950s when commercial hunting rifles were still in short supply but surplus rifles of all stripes were almost a dime a dozen.

radom

Then vs now there. Hack up and improve a 20 buck rifle that who knew would be like gold now there.