Need help identifying flintlock pistol

wukelich

Bought this over 40 years ago. Thought it was a replica but now not so sure.

Any help in identifying it and possible value would be greatly appreciated.

The nail pattern in the butt end is interesting and wonder if it means anything

Attachments

• flintlock.jpeg
    flintlock.jpeg
    507.9 KB · Views: 154
  • flintlock 2.jpeg
    flintlock 2.jpeg
    340.8 KB · Views: 111
  • flintlock 3.jpeg
    flintlock 3.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 108
Nope -- that's three images per message, not total of three per thread.

With your next message just attach a nice, clear, picture of the right side of the gun focusing on the lock.

If there are letters or markings, it would help to know what they are as well.

5whiskey

Yeah need a picture of the lock. I’m leaning toward not a repro. The butt and trigger guard looks to have Turkish styling, or at least Turkish influence.

5whiskey

Now that I've done some research it was most assuredly an Ottoman Empire styled pistol. It could have been European made for the Ottomans, or it could have been made within the Ottoman Empire. It looks to have likely been altered from the style typical of the region/period, as most had a full stock and a fake ramrod.

I do not believe it a reproduction. It is possible, but I'm not aware of wide-scale ottoman flintlock pistol repros. In addition, to get the butt inlay and carving so ornate, along with the detail in the frizzen spring, would cost a small fortune even in the 1950's. Most likely an original with the metal in decent shape for it's age, but likely an altered stock.

I agree, it's most like middle eastern, Turkish, or North African in origin. It could also be Spanish, given the Arabic influences there.

And, I'm pretty sure it's quite old and original... My guess is late 1600s to mid 1700s...

I can't tell, though, if it has an external sear arrangement, which would make it a miquelete-style lock and would also tend to make its origins in the areas I listed above.