Need help identifying Dan Wesson revolver

djcantr

I went to a gun show today seeking out a .357 magnum revolver with a six inch barrel. I found a blued Dan Wesson. She was pretty, but I wasn't sure what model it was. I thought a model 15, but the guys were selling it for a friend and weren't sure. Can anybody help me figure out what model it is and when it was made? The serial number is six digits and starts with 192. On the right side of the frame it reads "DAN WESSON ARMS, MONSON, MASS. USA" and then has the serial number. How much do these usually go for? I looked on a couple auction sites but the prices seemed to vary quite a bit. Are these good revolvers?

img1476xf.jpg

By djcantr at 2012-02-25

img1478b.jpg

By djcantr at 2012-02-25

img1479v.jpg

By djcantr at 2012-02-25

UtopiaTexasG19

If you do not get a adequate answer here you can always go to the Dan Wesson Forum. I've had my Wesson .357 Magnum since 1972 and it is by far my most accurate pistol. I have had occassions with a bench rest of consistantly hitting soda pop cans at 50 yards which is great for my capabilities. :)
http://www.danwessonforum.com/

wdelack

Congratulations on a fine purchase. You have a Dan Wesson model 15-2. With it's current barrel setup, the full designation is model 15-2V6.

djcantr

Congratulations on a fine purchase. You have a Dan Wesson model 15-2. With it's current barrel setup, the full designation is model 15-2V6.

Thank you for the info! Any idea when it was made based on the serial number being six digits and starting with 192?

Gdawgs

They are fantastic guns. I have a 357 Pistol Pack, and it is probably my favorite gun out of everything I have. They are extremely accurate, tough, and have sweet single action triggers. And they have a beautiful finish on them. Most people who pick one up for the first time have a hard time getting the cylinder open until they get used to the front release. Once you are you to it, it becomes second nature.

Dan Wesson had some screwy serial numberings, so pinning down an exact manufactuing date can be a bit tough. Most of the ones in that range would have been manufactured in the late 70's to early 80's I believe.

As far as price, seems like these have really gone up quite a bit in the past several years. And it seems like they are getting harder to get.

djcantr

They are fantastic guns. I have a 357 Pistol Pack, and it is probably my favorite gun out of everything I have. They are extremely accurate, tough, and have sweet single action triggers. And they have a beautiful finish on them. Most people who pick one up for the first time have a hard time getting the cylinder open until they get used to the front release. Once you are you to it, it becomes second nature.

Dan Wesson had some screwy serial numberings, so pinning down an exact manufactuing date can be a bit tough. Most of the ones in that range would have been manufactured in the late 70's to early 80's I believe.

As far as price, seems like these have really gone up quite a bit in the past several years. And it seems like they are getting harder to get.

I paid $350. I felt it was a good value but didn't know anything about Dan Wesson revolvers. The cylinder shows the most imperfections. There's one spot on the barrel shroud that is tiny. The pictures (crappy iPhone pics) don't do it justice, it really is a pretty revolver.

Gdawgs

That was a good deal. It looks like it's in great shape. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I like mine!

57sw

They are indeed great revolvers and very accurate. I have the same setup as in your photo there with the blued 6 inch vented standard. Also bought mine used around 15 years ago or so. A couple of years ago I got the 2.5 inch barrel/shroud through CZ/Dan Wesson. You can also find barrels and shrouds on the various gun auction sites if you care to expand your investment. Enjoy!

madcratebuilder

Great score. You have the vented, standard lug barrel shroud, one of several variations. Gunbroker has barrels and shrouds listed all the time. You can put together a pistol pac if you like the revolver and want to add to it.

DW02.jpg

djcantr

Thank you all for the info. I ordered a barrel wrench from EWK as the revolver didn't come with one. Now I just have to shoot it today! :D I also scored a NIB Ruger 22/45 for $225 with papers and two mags. From the serial number it looks to have been made in 1999. Might have to start reloading now for .38 special/.357 magnum after buying this Dan Wesson. :D

djcantr

I made it to the range today with this Dan Wesson revolver. I not only love it, I LOVE it! She's a sweet shooter. :D

wogpotter

DW's are excellent revolvers, but if you reload for it stay away from the CCI primers they are too hard for the short hammer fall of a DW & will probably give you D/A misfires.

After misfires that couldn't be easily explained & a bunch of troubleshooting I started to use the Winchester WSPM primers & have 100% success in both SA & DA now.

Here's my 6" 15-2 with the heavy barrel, EWK fiber-optic front sight & Hoague monogrip.
DSCF7977.jpg