Need Help identifying ammo

Hey Guys and Gals,

My wifes friend's Grandfather passed away a couple of months ago and they found a bucket of old cartridges that they didn't want. I took it off their hands not knowing what I was getting. I sorted through it all and found some interesting cartridges and some I need help identifying.

attachment.php

Left to Right:
.22 Short, .22 Hornet, .22HP?, 25-20?, .25 Rem?, .25-35?, 250-3000?, .250 Savage, .250HP?, ???, .30USG?, .30 Rem, .32 Rem

attachment.php

Bottom Row:
.300 Savage, .303 Sav?, 7.62m/m? 7.65 m/m, .35 Rem, .35 W.C.F., ???, .270

attachment.php

.30-06 in clips. Garand?

Attachments

• Bottleneck Cartridges 1.jpg
    Bottleneck Cartridges 1.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 279
  • Bottleneck Cartridges 2.jpg
    Bottleneck Cartridges 2.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 269
  • Bottleneck Cartridges 3.jpg
    Bottleneck Cartridges 3.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 274
Some Shotgun Cartridges.

attachment.php

Aluminum Case is .410, Some Solid Brass 12 Ga...

attachment.php

.32ACP, ???, ???, ???, .357 Mag., ???, ???, .351 SPL?, 38-40?, 44-40, .38WCF?, 44 S & W Spl, 45 Colt, ???, ???, .405 Win, .45 Govt, 50 EX?, 50-95?, 50-110?

Any help you can provide identifying the ones that are ??? and info you may have on any of the other ones with ? behind them would be greatly appreciated. Sorry the pics are not the best. Took them with my Cell Phone as I haven't unpacked my camera since I moved...

Any of these Rare or worth anything?

Attachments

• shotgun cartridges.jpg
    shotgun cartridges.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 224
  • straight wall cartridges.jpg
    straight wall cartridges.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 213

Jimro

I'm not an ammo collector, but it does seem to be a fine collection of obsolete cartridges.

But the 30-06 in enbloc clips for the garand give you three different loads, M2 ball, black tip Armor Piercing, and orange tip tracer.

If it were me, I'd keep identifying as many as I could as time went on, put them in a display case. You might get some offers from someone looking to round out their own collection, but what little I know about collectors is that they generally prefer complete boxes of ammo if possible.

Jimro

T. O'Heir

"...Any of these rare or worth anything?..." Some are. Others, not so much. Nice collection. Most of the corrosion will come off with 0000 steel wool. No oil.
"...Garand?..." Yep. Except for the three in the stripper clip, of course. The rust isn't good though. Black tips are AP. Orange is tracer.
As for the rest, you'd need to look at the headstamps. .351 SPL should be .351 Win Self-loading. Aka .351 SL.
"....30USG..." .30-40 Krag.
"...250-3000?, .250 Savage..." Same thing.
"...???, ???, ???..." Rimfires, assorted. Measure the bullet diameter.
There are case drawings for a lot of 'em here. http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm
Then go here and join. http://cartridgecollectors.org/

The headstamps on the centerfire cartridges will be pretty much definitive if they are US made commercial cartridges.

The older rimfire and center fires you have will be a bit trickier to identify.

The aluminum case .410 is probably Winchester made in the 1950s, for the US military survival rifles at the time.

In the pic of metallic cartridges posted in the same message as the shotgun cartridges...

First unidentified copper case appears to be a .30 or .32 Short rimfire.

The next two both appear to be .41 Short rimfires, famous for use in the Remington Double Deuce Derringer.

the next one is probably a .38 Long Colt.

Bottom row, the first one is probably one of the Spencer cartridges, possibly .56-56.

Next one, my guess is .45-70.

.50 EX is probably an abbreviation for .50 Express, a higher speed smokeless loading probably for the 1886 Winchester. Just a guess though.

The one after that isn't a .50-95, the .50-95 was squat and had a bottle neck. My guess is that it's a .50-70.

9-ball

More people will be able to help if you could post measurements of bullet diameter and casing length of the ones you don't know. Guessing calibers on looks with obsolete ammo is kind of hard IMHO.

Thanks for the help guys! I will try to get some better pictures and some measurements of bullet diameters, case lengths, and head stamps. Some of the cases that I can't identify either don't have a caliber head stamp or are too corroded to see...

In order to positively identify most rounds, you need a caliper that measures to thousandths of an inch. A ruler simply isn't good enough.

You can find dimensions for most common cases in Cartridges of the World, as well.