Need help finding some scope bases-Marlin 981T

RimfireChris

I've been looking for some Weaver scope bases for My Marlin 981T. If anybody knows what # I need I'd be mighty appreciative. I'd like them in stainless-or silver aluminum as it were- if possible. Thanks.

riomedinamike

Just curious, but why do you want weaver bases for a rimfire rifle?

I have several Marlin bolt 22's. I bought Nikon rimfire scopes and used the Nikon rings without any problems.

Weaver makes rimfire rings also, as do all the major mfr's.

mrawesome22

Weaver's hold MUCH better than the little dovetail. I don't trust those dovetails at all because I've had plenty of them slip.

riomedinamike

But - the Weaver bases are attached to the dovetail, although you do get more surface area of a base on the dovetail compared to a ring, so it makes sense the bases would be less likely to slip.

I forgot to mention I use loctite on the screws that attach to the dovetail, and I've not had any slipping or movement issues. Even though I haven't done it, I suppose you could apply loctite to the rings where they attach to the dovetail and it might make the rings less likely to slip. A long time ago I had an AR-15 re-built by Mr. Lauck in Wyoming and he put a lot of loctite where the barrel fits into the upper receiver to prevent movement.

I wish the mfr's would drill and tap 22 receivers from the factory (like Ruger 10/22's) or have bases built in (like all other Rugers and Sako) but tradition probably has a lot to do with it. That way you would have few issues regarding movement.

As an aside, I think the Marlin 22 bolt guns are a tremendous value and shoot almost as well as my much more expensive Anschutz - but I can buy 5 or more Marlins for every Anschutz. Plus when the Marlin rifle scars up from honest use I don't cringe as badly.

RimfireChris

Sorry it took so long too answer, work intruded. The reason I need some Weaver bases is I found an old scope I'd forgot I'd had, a Leapers 3x9, it's still in good shape and really clear, but it's got that rubber armor stuff all over it, and I think it's a 30mm tube to boot. I haven't been able to find any rings for it yet, and when I do I imagine they're probably gonna be standard Weaver, hence the need for the bases. Thanks for all the help guys.:D