Need help finding certain bolt carrier for an AR.

HKFan9

I think someone posted the link on here but I cannot find the bolt carrier group I was looking for. All I can remember is that it was Flat Dark Earth color with a skull on the side (I think company logo maybe). I have been searching the web to find it but have not come across it again. If anyone has any idea please let me know. Thanks.

demigod

I've never seen a FDE bolt carrier group. Not for nothin'... but I'd stick to a real BCG in mil spec finish and configuration.

nbkky71

Super Defense Solutions (http://www.superiordefensesolutions.com)

skullspic__99440_zoom.jpg

HKFan9

From what I can remember it was mil spec, and by a good company. I just can't find the thing. I'm not saying I want to buy it, but I was interested in looking it up again.

I am not an AR snob, the chart doesn't worry me.:rolleyes: In fact most AR parts are made by just a few companies and bought for other rifles.

My used STAG I bought off a guy on here has been flawless, and I work for a gun shop, so I buy 1000's of rounds at a time wholesale, and my STAG eats them all day long. Before STAG turned into STAG in 2003, they were Continental Machine who made parts for other companies AR-15's as well as military M16's. In fact I am pretty sure Noveske uses their lowers.

Not saying Larue, LMT, BCM, Noveske aren't great, but my STAG does what I ask it to, with less problems than my Colt I sold off.

So please I am not looking for suggestions on brands from the chart, just finding the bolt carrier thats FDE with skulls on it, because it may be for a project gun, which will only be a range toy.:D

HKFan9

Nbkkyy71 your a life safer! Thank you my friend!

Mods feel free to lock this thread, got what I needed.:D

Last edited:

demigod

From what I can remember it was mil spec, and by a good company.

The fact that it's tan is itself evidence that it's not mil spec.... unless they've finished it over the mil spec phosphate finish. They only note that the carrier and bolt are MPI'd. Nothing about the HP test or what materials the bolt or gas key are made from.

I've never even heard of this company. I can't say anything bad about them specifically... but there are a lot of junk peddlers in the AR realm who make all kinds of claims about their products.

When you stick to a company like BCM who has independently certified materials, barrel steel, etc... you know you're not getting duped.

HKFan9

Guess I should sell my STAG since its not exactly mil-spec, even tho its functioned fine for 1000's upon 1000's of rounds? I don't exactly treat it nicely either. :D The whole point of an AR is that they are easily serviced if something goes wrong. Just from collecting spare parts that I get at the shop I work in with used rifles we've bought, I have enough parts stashed away at my house to rebuild my rifle a few times besides upper and lower receivers.

I know you are just trying to help. I know BCM makes good stuff, but I was looking for this particular BC for a particular rifle, for a particular application.... which is not going to be self defense. I am not worried about it failing me, because chances are it won't have a chance to do so.

I appreciate your concern however.:D

tirod

Milspec is a nice start. Having the certainty it was individually tested is reassuring for some. If it was a duty gun, sure.

Sport and hunting, it's a premium service that only guarantees they have a documented reason to reject one. Batch testing of a few for the lot produced is standard on most guns, cars, cameras, you name it. Only electronics ever get run in to make sure, because you have to ring the circuits. Nobody individually tests, MPI's and xrays every spindle, hub bearing part, crank, rod, and piston on your car. Lots more people get killed from user error, not parts failure, tens of thousands more than a gun failure.

For those pushing milspec, please cite the tests your personal carry handgun passed - barrel, MPI? Slide or cylinder, xrayed? What package of tests handchecked off in original blue ink did you get attesting it was made to what official standard?

By the way, isn't a nitrided ion bond bolt supposed to be better than parkerized? Barrel too? Milspec is a compiled list of how things were done 20 years ago. It won't be the same after the Improved Carbine comes out. All those "milspec" M4geries will be substandard.

Please, I messed with Army gear for 22 years, milspec isn't the end all be all. It's why the Army now prefers to buy off the shelf, and we are better off for it. Ask the troops wearing Danner mountain boots and softshell jackets in Multicam if they would like to go back to milspec issue stuff.

Not so much.

HKFan9

Tirod said it better than I could have. Thats why I just ignore most of the AR snobbery.:D I can take mine apart and rebuild it at anytime, so it doesn't bother me. Mil spec means nothing to me other than thats how someone figured out 20 years ago to make it at its cheapest for the military contract. Stag Arms parent company, Continental Machine made parts for "mil-spec" m16's and continue to make parts for many AR "manufacturers".

That and I don't play commando on the weekend, I just enjoy shooting. My old Milspec Colt gave me a lot more issues than my used stag bought off this forum.... so my Stag still remains.