Need help finding bigger grips for S&W 686

Big Dave

Aloha,

Many moons ago when I was into guns I picked up a 6 inch 686. I never warmed up to it since the grips were too small for my hands. I'd like to give it another shot before before I decide to sell it.

Can someone point me to some larger rubber grips that I can order online?

Thanks in advance.
Dave

Hammer It

Hello Dave
I have some like new rubber grips for a few S&W revolvers. I need to know if yours is a square butt or round butt frame revolver? I Believe I have both styles but need to know what one you have, and can send a picture If I have a set for it, you can have them for 15.00 shipped. Hammer It.

fairview mick

Grips for 686

I think all the later 686's come with Hogue(mine did). I have a large hand and the Hogue grips on my 686 do a good job for me. Try a pair, you can usually get them locally for about $18.00 to $20.00
Mickey

Mosin44az

Pachmayr grips are bigger than Hogues, and would fit bigger hands better. Hogues don't cover the backstrap, Pachmayrs do. I bought a Model 66 from a friend who was 6 foot 9. He had Pachmayrs on it. I switched it to Hogue.

Big Dave

Thanks for the replies

I called S&W today and they said my gun takes K frame, round butt grips. I called Hogue and the only thing they could suggest was a square grip conversion which would feel a little bigger. Is there more to hold on to with the square butt grips?

Mine did come with the rubber Hogue rubber grips. Maybe I just don't like the feel in general since I'm used to the feel of an HK P7M8.

Thanks for the tips.
Dave

Hammer It

Hello Big Dave
Mine were for a square butt revolver, Sorry. What I would look for is a set of Bill Jordan style grips for your revolver. These were a very large profile grip, as Mr. Jordan had massive hands. I hope this helps, Hammer It.

BluesBear

K,L & X frame S&Ws all use the same grips. Go to a store with a good selection and find the grips that fit your hand the best.

Don't overlook used guns as many are wearing after market rubber when they're traded in.

Uncle Mike, Hogue and Pachmayr all make several different styles and sizes.

And don't forget about old fashioned wooden stocks. There are many out there now that actually work quite well.

Mark Milton

Get on Ebay or gunbroker and look for a set of SILE rubber grips.
They are the best of the big size rubber grips I ever felt.

They have a Cowboy on a bucking bronco logo too, which looks SWEET!
I love mine on my L frame. Much nicer than run of the mill Pachys or Hogues....

TexasCop

Pachmyr makes two different size "presentation" grips for the K&L frame, one is larger than the other. I have the smaller ones as the large ones feel too big in my hands, you might check them out as well. Just make sure you get them for the round butt instead of the square butt. The "Gripper" grips are usually big enough for most people as well.