Need help finding a desert shooting spot.

Omega blood

Does anyone know of a legal shooting spot anywhere near the 15 freeway in the Barstow/Victorville area?
The California BLM web site says there are areas for target shooting but isn?t specific about where they are at.:confused:

TwoGuns

A friend of mine goes shooting/camping out there occasionally. If I can recall correctly, he said if you're heading north, it's the first exit just outside of victorville. He said one side of the freeway is camping and the other side is shooting. I'll try to ask him next time I see him, but I don't see/talk to him that much anymore. Ya might try calling a few gunshops in victorville and asking them.

Chaingunner

I've been out to the BLM once for some shooting - it's not bad. I can't remember how to get there off the top of my head, but I'll ask a guy that I know for directions next time I see him.

T-Bear

I go out a little past Victorville.
An Exit called HODGES.

It's about 15 min past Bear Valley exit heading North.
It's open to all types of shooting.
Exit hodges make a left at the stop sign
cross the freeway and your there choose your hill to shoot at.

Personally I like to about 1-2 miles inward to keep to myself and away from newcommers that like to shoot crazy and leave trash everywhere.

I go out there about every other week. Heading out there this Sunday.

Please when you do go please bring out twice what you brought in.

PM me for any more details.

TooTall

Try these web sites:

www.socalcamping.com/shooting/shoot_info.html
www.desertsusa.com/placestogo/du_california.html

You can also contact the Barstow BLM office for a copy of their desert access map for the region.

I'd suggest that you visit the Barstow BLM office and talk with a BLM Ranger. They can give you the up-to-date info on everything, and they're usually pretty good at giving you directions for the best shooting areas.

You had better do it soon, though, for the temps will be getting into the 100's before too long! They've already been getting into the low 90's!

big jon

shooten area?

what abought calico area i shot there for years we went out there so often we would leave or steel targets out in the desert, what are yo shooting? i have a private range behind my house and i live 14 mles west of the 15fwy on the 138 thats the silverwood lake/wrightwood exit

Omega blood

Thanks for the reply guy?s.
T-Bear, did you mean Hodge Rd.? I found it north of Victorville and there looks to be a paved section then it turns to dirt road. It's marked int the shotgun area map. If this is it, how is the dirt road? Would be OK for a van?
As for what I?m shooting a .22 a glock 17 and a Mossberg 500.

Attachments

• Hodge Rd..jpg
    Hodge Rd..jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 274
  • Hodge Rd.2.jpg
    Hodge Rd.2.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 202
  • recshoot1b.jpg
    recshoot1b.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 211

T-Bear

Yes sir that is it.
the paved road last for about 500ft across the freeway.
The minivan is fine, I bring mine when I can. I even drive my car through there as well.

YOur firearms are fine, That map of just shotgun only is outdated. There is a location that is just shotgun only but that is before you hit the Hodges exit. just bring what you want to shoot. And pick your hill to shoot at. I suggest you drive inward a little bit to stay away from the freeway and away from others in a safety manner.

I arrive around 7am to get a head start and leave around or before 3 to beat the Vegas traffic comming back. If you leave after that your going to adding an extra 1-1/2 hours to your trip back.

As always happy shooting and please pickup out there, it's been getting a little dirty lately from shooters leaving there trash out there.

Safe Shooting

TooTall

T-Bear, one of my uncles said that the Victorville gangs have been using Hodge Road shooting areas for pracising their drive-by shootings. He also said that there had been some homicides in the area during the past few years. Have you heard anything about that?

I used to shoot at a place called "Texas Canyon", near the Saugus/Newhall area. It was closed several years ago, due to new homes being constructed nearby, but another part of the reason for closing it was the gang problem. I was out there by myself and WITNESSED a carload of Mexican gangbangers setting up their empty beer bottles along the dirt road, then shooting at them in a "drive-by" style from their car. Kind of scary, since I was out there by myself!

T-Bear

TT,

I've been shooting there for the past 2 years and have never heard of that situtation. Hodges is patrolled via the Sheriff Department under covered tracking down violaters and Mobile Meth labs on the freeway. Also don't forget the eye in the sky, they will land by you if they see something is out of place.

What I can tell you is there have been robbery's there, where certain people will hold you up and take your weapons. Don't be alarmed now, but that is what had happend in the past. Not no more since LEO now patrol that area.

When I go out there I always have a sidearm holster outside so people can see. And when I set up my long range targets, I take a walk with my rifle.
You can never be too careful out there. Also drive about a 1-2 miles inward so you can keep to yourself and be away from the freeway, just to be on the safe side.

There have been 2 times where I had to get out of Jeep and tell certain people not to shoot towards the freeway and using a paper target stuck in a tree shooting a M1A. About 2000 yards away. Some people are just Stupid

This place is one of the few places open to the public for shooting near me.
I heard about a closer location to us located off of Bear Valley. I:ll be visting the Fish&Game next week to get more information about this location.

Also it;s a Happy Day for me, I just completed my Hunting class in Corona. And yes you can "Harvest" coyote out there as well.
Happy Shooting

Omega blood

Got out there sunday morning about 6 a.m. Since there was no one there we used the first spot we found, what a dump!:mad: Had a good time though. Finaly got to strech the "legs" on my Glock.:cool: I had made 2 steel swinging targets that I broke.:p My buddy tried his used .22 that appears to need some work.
That M-44 makes one mean dent.:eek: There is also something satisfying of hearing a ping then a ricochet.:D