Need help deciding - keep/not keep

Blade37db

I've had 2 ARs for a few years. I bought them because my thought was "I should have 1 (or 2)". I like the concept of their modularity and ability to change/add calibers....even though I've never done it. I've invested in a lot of ammo and magazines (bought the magazines because they're now prohibited in my state). Bought spare parts for the same reason (in case I can't get them for some new legal reason). I don't hunt but take them to the range 3-4 times a year. But the truth is......I never really liked them. They just don't do it for me.

Not a fan of the ergos (maybe it's just me). I like traditional rifle stocks better. I hate cleaning them. I enjoy shooting pistols and bolt actions more.

I know that if I get rid of them now I'll never be able to get one as long as I live in the state I'm in (hope to change that in the future) and that I'll be selling low as the market is full of ARs and stuff.

Should I just hold onto them "just because", shoot them every once in awhile and feel "meh" about them or just cut bait, make room in the safe and move on?

Appreciate thoughts & opinions.

rickyrick

If you don't like them then they hold no personal value to you, but the value may change. The market is not favorable to selling, unless you find someone willing to pay.
It's a tough call.
I'd sell if I could gain something I liked more

COSteve

I feel your pain.

I've got 3 ARs, 2 middies and a 20" I use for 400+ yd range shooting at apples and like you I'm not a fan of the ergonomics and plastic feel of them. I like the caliber as handloaded ammo shoots really accurately and it's relatively cheap to shoot. The 20" A4 I fixed in part by installing a real walnut buttstock, foregrip, and pistol grip I made. However, it's still not a favorite as it's receiver is too bulky to comfortably lug around in the woods. Yes, it's accurate but it's just not something I've ever warmed up to.

DSCN2807.jpg_zpsedhmxp7h.jpg

On the other hand, I love the feel of my leverguns, my M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, and M1A so I decided to go looking for a semi-auto with more traditional styling. While now may not be the best time to sell, you might want to look for another .223 semi-auto with more traditional styling. What I found was the newer 58X Series Ruger Mini14 Ranch Rifles. Since they thickened up the barrels in the 58x series back in mid 2000s, they are considerably more accurate than the previous 'pencil barrel' style and with just a few tweaks and decent ammo (no Ruskie Junk) many are getting MOA accuracy out of them. You might want to consider one of these.

20151122_084819_zpsfh704ffa.jpg

Common additions to it, and the mods I made to my 583 series I got earlier this year include: Replace Ruger's large, HG with a Choate HG ($15) to provide better cooling and better styling, replace Ruger's hard to adjust rear sight with a Tech Sight, Mini200 rear sight ($69), add a Accu-Strut $80) to stiffen the barrel and further reduce barrel heat buildup, add Wilson 1911 buffers (6 pack $6) to the front and rear of the Op Rod spring and gas pipe to eliminate metal to metal cycling, install a smaller (.045" good start) gas bushing (set of 3 $45) in the gas block to reduce the extremely over gassed operation, torque the screws to 30 in/lbs, dress the sears to smooth out the trigger, and add a M1 Carbine sling ($10).

Like most, I've found that for reliability, it's best to stick to Ruger brand 5rd, 10rd, or 20rd (if your state allows) mags and you'll feed and fire without issues. My Ranch Rifle now has over 1,000rds through it and with irons (and a younger shooter with better eyes) can produce 1¼" groups at 100yds with my handloads. Best of all, it's compact, about the size of my M1 Carbine, and feels like a real rifle, not a plastic toy. (It's not a coincidence that it looks a lot like my M1A.) Best of all, it's fun to shoot and even Commiefornia doesn't mind it's looks. Something you might consider.

ndking1126

If you don't like them, I don't see much point in keeping one or both just because you won't be able to get them in the future. If you don't like them now, I'm guessing you will never like them.

I had an SKS I bought because I thought I would like it and I felt I needed some kind of a semi-automatic. I sold it later and haven't really missed it. If it was more accurate than 6" groups at 50 yards, I probably would have kept it. I guess that's another story though, lol.

And I certainly understand not liking to clean them.. what a pain!

chris in va

I don't care much for mine either for the reasons listed. When these get banned again I plan to sell and get a Mini.

skizzums

I would honestly wait util at the very least, next summer. look at where our politics are headed again......and right up against election season. I know about 5 different people that spent between 1100-1500 dollars for, at this point in time, pretty basic AR's, maybe they have a stock/handgaurd upgrade.

I bought an SKS during the last panic and spent $110 bucks for 2 Tapco 20 round magazines. Just saying, desperation brings out the bucks, a lot of folks my perceive the climate as desperate again soon. I for one won't fall into the trap again, but this my first taste of "gun-politics" in America.

oldmanFCSA

I share your pain.

I have seven AR's in different configs, but really only like two of them. One an AR-10 in 308/7.62X51, the other in 7.62X39 in an AR-15 config.

I will part with five of them when I can get what I paid for them.

I have a Mini-14 and LOVE the feel of it, just wish it had the accuracy that the AR's do.

I love the feel of WOOD. I have other bolt rifles in synthetic stocks, but don't like the feel on my skin in my hands. I would gladly trade for a quality walnut stock anytime.

kcub

Does any country use the mini as it's standard battle rifle? Ruger should have made them use standard AR mags.

g.willikers

Sounds like you're trying to come up with an excuse to own something when there's no reason in your life to do so.
Maybe you don't like your ARs because there is no use for them - yet.
How about taking a carbine class?
These days there's probably at least one to attend nearby.
Might change your mind about them.

Blade37db

Thanks for all of the replies guys. Everyone made some good points.
I always loved the M1 Carbine. Had a few, sold them and moved to the AR platform for all of the reasons others have (cheaper ammo, parts availability, cheaper mags, modularity, etc). May not have been a wise move.
I like the M1A but don't really need/want something that big and heavy (I like lighter/shorter rifles).

Before I sold my M1 Carbines and bought my ARs, I did the research on the whole "Mini vs AR" thing, and while I liked the look and feel of the Mini, the AR made more sense for all of the same reasons as above.

I agree, now is probably not the best time to sell my ARs and associated stuff, but I should probably spend some time with my friend's Mini to see if that's something I want to reconsider for an intermediate range semi rifle. Taking my ARs to a class might prove to be enlightening. Might be worth it.

Thanks!

Targa

Like others have said keep them for now, unfortunately the market is going to turn into a sellers pay day wih the upcoming gun scare and it is upcoming. Of course the catch 22 is you will have to wait for the scare to subside as a buyer or getting top dollar for your AR's will be a wash when you have to pay top dollar for whatever it is you want to replace them with. So I guess sell now and buy now or wait to sell when the market is ripe for selling and then wait to buy. Me, I would wait.

skizzums

I just had two non gun owners at work asking where the need to go to get a cheap lower/rifle.....here we go again

Targa

Yes sir, I think the anti-gun folks have stock in firearms manufacturers because they sure drive up the sales..:D

Grant D

After the trouble in San Bernardino, I hear guns a flying off the shelves again!
So maybe now IS a good time to sell

dakota.potts

I would definitely keep at least one. You mentioned that the rifles, or at least the magazines, are banned in your state. How do you think people who sold machine guns in 1985 feel now considering the way prices have skyrocketed in the last decades since the ban?

You may consider trading away your parts to build an AR more to your liking (maybe you need to try a more precision set up, or a lighter carbine set up, or something else that you haven't tried that you may enjoy). The other thought is to sell one of your rifles and buy another rifle that uses your standard capacity (now banned) magazines so that you have a reason to hold on to them. Off the top of my head, you can get the AUG, F2000, CZ 805, SCAR, Tavor, Galil, and several AKM pattern rifles that accept AR-15 magazines. There's even a bolt gun, the Mossberg MVP, that will accept AR magazines and is very fun to shoot - feels like you hardly ever run dry!

Blade37db

I'll be keeping them for now. Appreciate the insights.
They'll probably stay in the back of the safe for awhile.
Will look at the Mini's again as it's the only semi .223/5.56 we can get in CT (actually, Saiga sporter too).
I have some interest in the Mossberg MVP as I can use my AR mags and ammo but reviews have been mixed (typical for Mossberg these days).