Need help choosing between these rifles.

K.J.C.

Which would be better for hunting deer, and cougar in the cascades. A Tikka T3 or possibly a Winchester 70 Shadow, both in a .338 WM. Could use some help guys thanks.

Inspector3711

First, and no offense here, the .338 winmag is probably overkill for the animals you plan to hunt but hard to beat for larger game like elk and moose.

The .223 has ample power for cougars and the .243 for deer. Perhaps the .25-06 would be a good compromise to cover both.

That wasn't your question though. Between those two I think Tikka has a current reputation for excellent accuracy so might be my choice if it felt right. If your hunting on foot then pay attention to weight when you select a rifle, especially for the mountains. In the end it comes down to which rifle feels good in your hands and against your shoulder and cheek. Fit is key.

Both rifles are accurate enough for hunting. Take a look at the Weatherby Vanguard. They are available in light weight models, start at around $400, are accurate and have good triggers.

tINY

Whichever one you can get in a less punishing caliber. Mulies aren't that tough and cougars are put down with handguns when the dogs tree them...

-tINY

K.J.C.

Well i mean why do you think its too big it kills the animal right? Haha im just kidding, but seriously though whys it to big...

CraigC

A .338Win Mag for deer and cougar??? How about a nice little .250Savage, .257Roberts, 6.5x55mm, .260Remington, 7mm-08, 7x57, or .308 instead?

Inspector3711

Why I feel it's too much cartridge for your listed use:

If your shot placement isn't right on you'll destroy more meat. If your hellbent on destruction it may be the cartridge you want.

It's a heavy recoil round which may lead you to flinch from time to time increasing the likelyhood of bad shot placement.

It's a long action round so the rifle will weigh a bit more.

It's more expensive to shoot so practice will cost more. if you reload it uses more powder and brass and dies cost more.

It won't kill a deer or a cougar any better than a smaller more manageable cartridge choice although it does have a longer range.

Nothing wrong with the cartridge mind you but there are better choices that make more sense for deer and cougar hunting.

Really, read up on the .25-06.

NWCP

Any decent deer rifle is more than adequate for cougar. The .338 Win Mag is way too much for either. I would be using my .308 not my .338. :eek:

crimsondave

It's not going to tear up that much more meat with tame loads. If you want a .338, buy a .338.

I like Winchesters but not that model. I'd go T3.

FSJeeper

As far as the rifles you mentioned, the Tikka is going to be the most accurate of the 2. This version of the model 70 is not the same as the pre 64 version but it does have controlled round feeding versus the push round feed of the Tikka.

I own a Tikka T3 in .308 and a Win old model 70. The Tikka is a sub MOA rifle with factory ammunition and the Winchester can get close to 1 MOA with handloads. The Tikka action is smooth and the Win 70 is better quality. I do not know what the quality is of the new Win 70 shadow is. The Win trigger is not even close to being as sweet as the Tikka trigger.

Of the 2 you mentioned, I believe the Tikka would be the best choice. I would look at the CZ rifles before you make up your mind. They are priced between the Tikka and the Winchester and are a better rifle in my opinion.

Tomas204

Ok your going to ruin a little balck tail with a Bazooka ,.270 is fine for the small animals you are going to shoot ,I live near the Cascades ,I know ,I see blacktails every day they are small get a smaller caliber :barf:.....................................

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Generally, when folks refer to "overkill" or "too much gun", they're referring to two factors: More power than is needed for the type of game, and the amount of recoil which commonly accompanies such cartridges.

For deer and cougar, then, even an '06 is at the upper end of the spectrum. For practicality, I'd probably not use less than a .243, but that's somewhat argumentative. At any rate, something in the power-neighborhood of a 7mm08 wiould work quite well.

KMAY

I just picked up a tikka t3 lite and its great. The first time i shot it, Was also the first time i shot a hunting rifle, i shot a 1.44in group. From what i can tell it shoots better than i will ever be able to shoot. Just my .02.:)

fyimo

I own a 338 Win mag, a 300 Win mag, and a 7mm rem Mag and I will tell you that every step up that ladder means more recoil and the 338 Win mag loaded with 225 grain or 200 grain bullets has a lot of recoil. I really didn't like mine after getting it and the only it became tolerable was I had a KDF Muzzle Brake put on it. Now the rifle has the recoil of a 270 Win and I like it and killed a 7x6 Elk in Colorado's first season. So you need to decide if you want to deal with the recoil because it can cause you to deveope bad shooting habits because long bench sessions are painful. The 338 is a great Elk or Bear caliber but is a lot for a Deer sized animal.

I would recommend something like a 270 Win or 30-06 for the type of game you mention and as somone else said a 25-06 would probably do the job fine. If you know anyone who has a 338 Win mag I would recommend that you ask them if you can buy a box of ammo and shoot it before you buy it.
This isn't a man up thing it's just a shooting thing and has to do with eating a lot of recoil when you don't need to.

When I hunt Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer, or Antelope I use a 270 Win or 25-06 as both a great and devastating to Deer sized anumals. They are also flat shooting and have a very decent recoil level.

Abel

KJC,

Forget the 338. Its a fool's choice. Go with something that makes sense. The Cascades? You could do what you want with a Marlin 336 leveraction in 30-30 or 35. But a 270 or 7mm-08 makes wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more sense than a 338 Win Mag. Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buzzcook

Both are fine rifles. If one fits you better go with that one.
My own preference is for the Model 70, but that's because I have a history with that rifle.

I agree that you're looking at too powerful a caliber. Basically for deer, any standard round between .243 and .30-06 will be fine.

K.J.C.

hah ya thx for all the advice guys, im not too worried about the cartridge size, that was just the kind I was told about... I currently hunt with a .270, and haven't gone wrong with it yet, I was just researching these guns for future use. Thanks for everything though