Need help choosing a Nagant

Southern_guy

I am about to purchase a Mosin-Nagant rifle for use as a deer/sniper gun. I am willing to spend up to $110 for the weapon.I'd like something that won't explode in my arms when I pull the trigger, by the way.What is the best model (from the ones at www.aimsurplus.com) to buy?

tube_ee

Mosins....

Here's my take. I have only a minor case of Mosinitis. I only own one, although more are in my future. I like 'em.

91/30: Long gun. Really long. When they've got good bores, they may be the best shooters of the bunch (Finns aside, and you won't find one of those for what you want to spend), but they were also made the longest, and used the most, so the spread of possible bore conditions is huge. You'll get the most velocity out of your ammo, due to the long barrel. Carrying the rifle afield might not be the most fun, due to length, although they're not much heavier than the carbines, and some even may be lighter. Depends on the wood. Did I mention that the 91/30 is a long rifle?

M1938 carbine: Perhaps the best of the three as a field gun, except that the bores can be very rough on these. It's that whole "Great Patriotic War" thing, dontcha know. Many (most?) have been counterbored, drilled out to way over bore diameter from the muzzle back about an inch or so. This can restore accuracy if the muzzle crown is damaged, so it's not necessarily a problem, but... Some M38s had new rifling cut when they were counterbored, taking the diameter from ~.311" to somewhere in the .314-.315" range. Bullets in this diameter will be hard to come by, if you can find them at all. If your barrel is oversized, normal .311" bullets won't shoot worth a darn. Replacement barrels are available, for around $35, plus gunsmith time to install it. If you can get a good M1938, this would probably be the best choice.

M1944 Carbine: All of the good things about the M1938, plus better bore condition (on average), especially on 1950's production Warsaw Pact rifles, since those never saw combat, and were only issued for a few years. The only downside to the M44 as a field gun is the permanently-mounted bayonet. It comes off with a screwdriver, but the mount is integral with the front sight base, and sticks out about an inch from the right side of the barrel. Many M44s shoot to different points of aim with the bayonet extended or retracted, and they were sighted in with the bayonet extended. So, if you remove the bayonet, you may have to adjust the front sight. Some M44s care, some don't. Only your rifle knows for sure. Somebody should make a bipod mount that uses the M44 bayonet mount as an attachment point and takes a standard bipod, but nobody does that I know of.

Don't let anyone talk down the Mosin as a big-game rifle. The 7.62x54R cartridge is closer to the .30-06 than to the .308 in power, and the rifles can certainly be accurate enough for reliable hunting shots. Don't rely on surplus ammo to tell you about the accuracy of your gun. My M44 is a 3" gun at 100 yards with Czech surplus ammo. Using the Winchester softpoint load, the gun shoots much better, at least from field positions at big metal disks. I haven't taken the Winchesters to the range and grouped them yet, but the difference was noticeable in informal 100-200 yard shooting, so I have no doubt that they'll group better.

The rifle's action represents a road not taken by anyone else, and it's not the smoothest by any means. The trigger isn't great, and the safety is just plain weird. But the action is extremely simple, rugged as a shovel, and it works. Ugly guns, but I think they're neat.

My K31 is a far better rifle, but the M44's a keeper. It's going to deer camp as a back-up rifle, and if he hasn't bought anything else by then, my brother will be using it. If he doesn't get his deer, it won't be the gun's fault.

--Shannon

JR47

The majority of the Mosins arriving now are from Russia, and were "Arsenal refurbished". The exterior is pretty good looking, but the bores can be pretty shot-up from the use of corrosive ammo. Step-crowning resulted from the use of a steel cleaning rod run in from the muzzle.

AIM used to offer hand-selctions, and those were the best bores easilt found. I'd call AIM, explain what I'm doing, and be prepared to buy immediately, via C&R, or your FFL, is they will pull up one that has a good bore. Try to fins a specimen from late 1945-on, as the rush was over.

When you gat it, slug the bore, and that will tell you how well you did.

There are now aftermarket triggers for the M-N. The ONLY Snipers were all Model 91/30 rifles, with turned-down bolt handles. Use of a Scout-style scope and mount would obviate the bolt angle problem. My suggestion would be a Model 91/30 for "sniper duty", and a Model 1938 for deer camp. The Model 1944 will also work in a scoped version, but the iron-sights were designed for use with the bayonet extended.

There is a fair amount of the N72 sniper ammo available, and it's failrly accurate through the Mosin. Stay away from the older MIl Surp ammo for accuracy work. It, the MilSurp, is also corrosive, and requires immediate neutralization and cleaning. :)

2002gti

i was buying x54 from century last year for $29/440 round com bloc tins and $62/780 round case of hungarian silver tip, they also had some hollow core for $68/1150 round case. they have since dried up and century seems to no longer have any(same holds true for 8mm) but i would anticipate some more coming back, in my estimation there should be a whole lot more of the stuff for the surplus market. it may take a little time but when century gets the stuff everyone will get it, all the surplus stuff comes and goes through century.

2002gti

oh yeah, for a deer/sniper gun in the price range your looking at definately the 91/30, it will shoot much better groups than the m38 or 44. if you can bump up your pricetag to right around $200 then you can get a finn reworked m39 that are real tack drivers.

2002gti

oh yeah again, if your are interested in a finn m39 then check out this site
http://www.gunsnammo.com/
they have one right now for $180 - you just send in your drivers license and they send it to your doorstep. check the site daily, they always update with new pieces.

Jimro

Good advice has already been given, but for hunting the long barrel of the 91/30 isn't such a detriment as some may think. One of the post historians here at Ft. Benning uses his PU sniper as his deer rifle every season.

Jimro

2002gti

if your heart is really set on a short/carbine rifle another option for you is the 91/59, allans armory http://www.allans-armory.com/aaresult.php?PageId=51 has 2 left and i think century may have a batch of them as well in the $125ish range. these rifles shoot really well, much better than the m38 or 44, they are cut down 91's so the barrels are heavier than the other 2 shorties. they are also very collectable as well much more than the m38, m44, and 91/30