Need HELP! Cant put Nylon 66 back together...

Remmy

I feel pretty incompetent...
Dont know how many nylon owners there are...but maybe someone could shed some light on this for me.

I took my 66 apart to clean, and this time took it apart a little too far...after taking out some of the assembly pins i realized i should stop...the first problem i had was putting back in the cartridge stop spring, which was done succesfully.

After i though i had everything back in place, i tried to slide the firing pin striker back in on its rails, but it seems as though something had shifted because the sear is now too high up to allow the striker to slide over it where it needs to be. I can however push up on the bottom of the disconnector pivot and down on the disconnector to get the striker to slide over it, allowing the bolt and pieces to slide, but when i remove tension from the sear it pops back up blocking the striker from moving.

As far as i can tell, the pins are in their places and i cant see why this sear is not wanting to lay down for me!

Its been about 3 and a half hours of this now, if someone could post a picture with the trigger guard removed and the striker and bolt off the top, showing the inner workings of this gun, that would be great!

TIA
/exasperated...

*im referencing the names of parts from this drawing...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nylonrifles/files/RemNylon66.pdf

RAY WOODROW 3RD

Sorry.......

Can't help you but I know the feeling! I had the same thing happen to my Glenfield Model 60. Luckily, I had two of them so I could look at the one I didn't disasemble and put it back together properly. Can somebody help him?:confused:

bernie

I know your pain. Several years ago, I bought one for next to nothing from a friend because the stock was cracked open. I wrote Remington and they sent me a stock and said to send the old one in and they would cover it under warranty. I thought I would never get all of the parts switched over! If I remembered anything, I would be happy to help, but it has been several years and I do not remember anything about it.

foghornl

Remmy:

Just gather up all the pieces/parts, put them in a sack, and go visit your local Rem 'smith. I took apart a Nylon 66 that I had as a teen-ager, spent 2 weeks trying to put it back together. Some of theose assembly pins are not 1 pin that goes all the way through, but actually 2 pins. And the "exploded view" doesn't show that they are 2 pins...

:( :( :(

Wish I could help you more, but I haven't looked at an N66 in 15+ years.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Sorry Remmy, but this is a classic example of a "Basket Case".

Take all the parts, put them in a bag (or basket) and deliver them to a gunsmith.

My Father in Law has a Nylon 66... In all the years he as owned it - it has never been stripped down like that. Never. Not even close. Cleaning generally only involves spray in solvents and lubes. While that is not my choice of method, I have to admit, I've never seen that gun jam. This includes the load and unload as fast as you can pull the trigger drills with cheap .22s from walmart.

Nylon 66 was one of the best .22's ever made.

I hope you get it back together!

Sisco

If you can find a copy, the "NRA Guide to Firearms Assembly" has drawings & assembly instructions. Unfortuately they didn't tear it down as far as you did.
The Numrich Gun Parts Corp. catalog has a diagram too, but they don't have them on the website.
I snapped this pic of the diagram in the NRA book, maybe it'll help?

Attachments

• 66diagram.jpg
    66diagram.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 81

Remmy

Thank you guys for the replies and help!
I posted in "Harley Nolden's Institute for Firearms Research" and he replied and sent me an email with everything i needed!

That was great...The gun is back together.

George Hill: You are exactly right about the Nylons being such great .22's. This past weekend i went shooting with my older brother, and we both shot the gun, i tried to find its best group, although ill go back another time when i can really concentrate...it really seemed to like CCI velocitors, (1.5 in. groups at 50 yds. w/ open sites) which is good, because im going to be shooting some coyotes and foxes with this .22 this weekend.
After all the grouping was done, we both shot LOTS of dirty Remington bulk cheap ammo through it, some as fast as we could shoot too. :) that was fun, 15 bullets goes a long way too.

Great gun, if anyone wants one check here: http://gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=4280686

Although that one doesnt seem to have the rust thats on mine :)

Huntersix

Remmy-
I cleaned up and fixed a Nylon66 for a buddy of mine and found that soaking the rusted part with WD40 ( no flames please my nomex is at the cleaners) then wipe it down with 0000 steel wool will take of the rust without making a mess of the finish. Some spots I touched up with cold blue where it took it down to bare metal.

Six

foghornl

Remmy:

Glad you got your N66 "in one piece" and shooting again. When I mistakenly took mine apart too much [1981] , we didn't have the resources we have now. After that fiasco, and being $35 poorer, I never took mine down any farther than removing barrel and bolt assembly.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I always just did the basic takedown, then threw the whole thing in the sonic cleaner. Worked like a champ. Actually, those things never seem to actually quit. I have seen them looking like they spent years in a septic tank, and they still fired.

The only problem they had was that plastic had gotten a bad name after Savage put out plastic stocks that left bits and pieces all over the hills. People looked at the plastic, and said no thanks.

I became a believer with the first one I ever saw. I expressed doubts about the plastic stock to the Remington salesman. So he loaded the little gun, threw it on the ground, ran his station wagon over it a half dozen times, picked it up and went pow! pow! pow! etc. Those things are tough!

Jim

Remmy

You got that right Jim, this thing amazes me how dirty it can get and still work flawlessly. I am still reaquanting myself to it, but im am going to keep it for life, as it was given to me by my father.

I shined up the brass magazine tube and scrubbed the gun with oil and steel wool, and it looks really good now. Going to the range with it tommorow too. :)