Need Heavy 180gr Load For 357mag

1tfl

My brother is going hog hunting in GA for the first time and wants to carry his heaviest sidearm... a 4" S&W 686 in 357Mag. He wants me to load some "heavy" loads for him to carry during the hunt.

I checked my shelf for bullets I've found a box of 180gr WFN-GC Cast bullets and two boxes of 158gr Hornady XTP-HP bullets. For powder I have H110 and CCI magnum primers... plenty of brass.

Anybody have any receipe for "heavy" load using these components for use in a Blackhawk?

PawPaw

The Hodgdon Data Center shows 13.0-13.5 grains of H110 under a 180 grain bullet. The difference between minimum and maximum is only a half grain, and gives velocities between 1352 and 1396 fps. Pay attention to OAL.

GP100man

What he ^^^^ said & save the hps for 2 legged varmitts.

The trick with h110/296 is to keep loading density as close to the base of the bullet as possible & staying safe.

I use 13.5 for the 180 gr. rnfp I cast from a noe mold as most of the bullet is in the case ,but with the 358429 Keith bullet I use 14.5gr of h110 with close to the same fps

Mose Jefferson

I tested that combo up to 14 grains of H110, as per the Lyman manual, and brass fell out of my GP-100 just fine, with no obvious bad signs (although I wasn't measuring case expansion - I don't ever remember the mic when I head up to shoot).

Having said that, 13.0-13.5 grains h110 is where I keep my 180 grain'rs.

Take that with a grain of salt - I'm no Skeeter Skelton :eek:.