Need FBI Load Performance Data: 158-gr. LSWCHP

147 Grain

Looking for performance testing data and discussion on how the ol' FBI Load performs in small S&W J-frames with the 158-gr. LSWCHP's.

Given: Most 158-gr. LSWCHP's are +P and generally achieve 890 fps in a 4" barrel.

Question:

Can a 2" snubby achieve 800 fps and how much penetration or expansion will the FBI Load generally yield? (14" and .60" would be great.)

In comparison, Speer's 135-gr. +P SB Gold Dot (865 fps in a 2" snubby) generally results in 11" penetration and .57" expansion.

Thank-you in advance of your technical assistance!

Steve

CarbineCaleb

Jello Junkie

Well, in a 2 inch barrel, the Winchester +p 158-grain LSWCHP did about 825fps, and managed about 13.5" into bare gelatin with expansion to 0.47", and about 18.8" penetration into clothed gelatin with expansion to 0.39". Main problem is on the clothed gelatin, it doesn't open up.

The Standard Speer Gold Dot (not the new Short Barrel) did about 825fps also, but managed about 14.1" into bare gelatin with expansion to 0.62", and about 12.8" penetration into clothed gelatin with expansion to 0.59". Good ol' Speer :) :) :).

The Winchester 130gr SXT Personal Protection also did well at about 825fps too, and managed about 14.0" into bare gelatin with expansion to 0.58", and about 15.5" penetration into clothed gelatin with expansion to 0.53".

This is taken from:
http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/pocket_dynomite/

CarbineCaleb

The new Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel (.38 Special +P)

The 2004 round performs like this - a .357 Mag version should be out later this year...
attachment.php

Attachments

• gd_sb135.gif
    gd_sb135.gif
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,241

Sarge

The following is the FBI load from a 4" barrel, at 880 fps; you might well get 800 or a tad more depending on the dynamics of your particular gun. Don't fret over a few fps. This load has been settling accounts from 2" barrels, longer than many here have been alive.
38%20Spl%20FBI%20load.jpg

SnubbyMan

147 Grain, what did you end up going with?

I'm actually wondering what would be an ideal load for my 2" Model 64. I've always favored the 158 gr. LSWCHP +P, but have been considering the 135 gr. Gold Dot +Ps lately.

Recoil with either is really minimal in the all-steel M64. I guess it comes down how I want to balance penetration and expansion.

Thoughts anyone?

147 Grain

Recoil is a little to stout (for the 2" Lady Smith) with 158-gr. LSWCHP's so I ordered a case of the 135-gr. Gold Dots for $14.19 at www.MidwayUSA.com and a case of 148-gr. Wadcutters to practice with.

Will still keep the 158-gr. LSWCHP's in the 4" Security Six for self defense inside the home and 357 Mag 125-gr. HP's or 145-gr. Silvertips when carrying outside.

grendelbane

Keep in mind that this bullet works well when it hits bone. Of course, most bullets will work well when they hit bone, but this one works extremely well when it hits bone, and gelatin tests do not show this.

Now what are your chances of hitting bone? From what I have heard it is about 50%. This is if you are shooting into the chest.

Kind of muddies up the statistics on bullet performance, doesn't it?

Plated bullets also work well when they hit bone. Amazingly well!

michael t

The test has always been does it work on the street. The 158LSWCHP has a good record in real shootings and has been around a long time Let me know when the new boy has done as well.

sendec

IIRC Agent Edmundo Mireles used this load to stop Platt (or was it Mattix?) in the Miami FBI shootout in the mid 80s - that's sufficient performance data for me ;)

4thHorseman

The 2004 round performs like this - a .357 Mag version should be out later this year...

Carbine Caleb, I bought some a few weeks ago.
My I add to your comment please?
If you guys decide on the Speer Gold Dot for the short barrels, Speer Gold Dot has two 38's type ammo. One is Gold Dot 125 grain for average ammo needs and the Gold Dot 135 grain for short barrel needs.
Thanks again Carbine Caleb. :)