need comments on Beretta/revolver trade

EricM

I need some opinions on a potential trade of my Beretta 96 for a used Smith or Ruger .44mag revolver. My Beretta is Inox and comes with a Galco holster, Blade-Tech IWB kydex holster, and 3 mags (1 factory). It's in great shape and has about 300 rounds through it.

I found 2 used, stainless, double action revolvers today, 1 Smith & 1 Ruger. They are 6" barrel, 6 shot, with rubber grips. The guns are very similar in size and shape, etc., but the Ruger is heavier and just seems larger. The cylinder walls are thicker on the Ruger. Each is priced at $450.

Any comments on which revolver is preferred? This will be a woods gun and potential gun for hunting (maybe not with the short barrel). I do not presently reload ammunition.

Any comments on a straight trade? Maybe better to sell it instead?

VictorLouis

If these wheels are at a dealer, you likely wouldn't be able to get a 'straight' trade. Nothing personal, it's just business. The dealer will be looking to steal your Beretta and extort 'some' cash from you for the revo.:rolleyes: Rule of thumb is-Always sell privately, or trade with another shooter, before entertaining this idea with a dealer.:)

As to the price of the revos, that seems about par for very clean examples. Consider them a high starting point for your negotiation.:D

J. Parker

Eric; Victor is right. We get HOSED when we trade our guns. That's why I don't trade anymore. Heck Eric, I'm trying to sell some stuff so if I can come up with some cash I'd be interested in that INOX. I'm in Wash State. PS- I've got a great "woods gun" for sale in "handguns for sale". Trade and some cash? Best Regards, J. Parker

C.R.Sam

Economics.

With few exceptions. Dealer must buy at wholesale and sell at retail. Part of the difference is his pay......after payrole, rent, taxes, insurance, utilities etc etc.

Like Victor said.....sell privately then buy. Or trade privately.

Meanwhile......there is a reason the Ruger is bigger n uglier. It is stronger. Much as I like the sweet triggers n good looks of my Smiths; I wouldn't touch a stainless smith .44 for shootin.

Sam

EricM

Shop said the Ruger is better for handloads as it's stronger. Smith would be fine for factory ammo. I'll see about the trade. Both are used, so maybe it will happen.

EricM

To finish out this thread, I just traded my Beretta for the Ruger Redhawk plus $25. Not a great deal, but it saved me the hassle of selling the gun, etc. Ruger comes with Hogues and stock grips. Dang it's a heavy beast :).

ruger44.jpg

J. Parker

Eric; Glad it worked out also. For the woods if the barrel is longer than 4" I like a crossdraw holster. Also seems to soak up some of the weight. Galco has a holster I especially like. It's not cheap but you can wear it as a belt holster or crossdraw. I think it's called the Phoenix but I'm not sure.
Nice piece...Best Regards, J. Parker

EricM

J, I grabbed one of the used holsters out of their barrel. It's a DeSantis that looks like it was made for it. I'm set for now, but I'll probably look for a shoulder holster down the road. Now I'm going to need to start reloading :).

C.R.Sam

If you're not already doin it, try some wide suspenders. Takes a lot off of your waist when you packin big.

Sam

WESHOOT2

$$$ = MAKING HOLES THROUGH CAPE BUFFALO

I know where you can get some seriously expensive ultra-high performance ammo for that Redhawk LOL.

P

PreserveFreedom

Congrats. I think you made the right choice with the Ruger.