need carry advice..

zachkuby87

Ok so I currently rotate between a pf9 and xdm 45 depending on the weather i suck with the pf9 its just too small and snappy I'm not very accurate with it and I don't really like the 9mm as an sd round. I'm looking for something in the middle as far as size goes but would like .45 acp. I wish springfield would make the 3.8 in 45 id be set but they don't so I'm looking for options. I'm even debating buying my first glock. So these are my requirements.
.45 acp
Small enough to conceal but big enough to where it doesn't tear my hand up when I shoot.
More capacity the better
Nice trigger
Something that has some sort of aftermarket as far as sights barrels holsters etc.
Id like to stay under 700 dollars.
I know this all screams glock but I wanna know what other options I have.
I'm open to any suggestions I was even debating going .40 s&w xdm 3.8 but I have no experience with .40 at all so idk. Please help

TriumphGuy

Take a look at the M&P Compact. Either 9mm or .40 would be larger enough to absorb some more recoil and small enough to carry easily. I drop my .40 in a pants pocket pretty regularly and it carries nicely IWB, too.

RC20

You might look at a Sig SP2022 in .357 Sig or .40S&W.

9mm is the same size (not interchangeable) and I carry it regularly.

The more I look I think the 357 Sig is the only significant improvement in capability. You get velocity increase and can pick your penetration and get the expansion as well.

The rest, bigger bullet, less velocity, good penetration but not as much expansion.

CWKahrFan

Easy to conceal .45 = single stack = capacity of 6,7,8 or 9.
Are you OK with those capacities?... or... What number capacity is your minimum?
Do you like 1911's?
Do you want lighter-weight than 1911's?

osageid

I am an HK guy but I carry a glock 36 and I do like to shoot it and I can put 100 rounds down range and does not tear up my hands:)

Mercenary

Why not go with the XD 45 compact?

Smaller grip holds 10 rounds of 45 ACP with the flush mag and your full sized XDM mags will work in it as well. You're already familiar with the platform. It has a 4" barrel and it's the closest to a XDM 3.8 in 45 ACP that you'll find until SA produces one.

zachkuby87

I didn't know they made the xd 4" in 45 I figured If there wasn't an xdm that they probably didn't have the xd either. Ill deffinately give that a look. The g36 is something I was giving a Long hard look earlier at my lgs. I like 1911's but don't own any yet and they seem more like something id want for fun and pleasure rather than carry. My ffl that I purchase just about everything from just emailed me and said he's taking in a lightly used xdm 3.8 in .40 and said I can have it for 450. What's your guys thoughts on the .40? I'm so lost right now its not even funny there are just too many options I need to win the lottery so I can have em all.

osageid

Personally I like the .40, recoil is always talked about but it has never bothered me at all. That sounds like a great deal. You will not be under powered with the .40!

CWKahrFan

That XDM 3.8 .40 is nice but it's not significantly smaller than your XDM .45.

Seems like you're leaning towards something smaller, lighter, easier to carry but you're feeling mixed about the fact that it actually translates into less firepower.

Hmmmm... There's no way around that... As C0untZer0 said above, the laws of physics, ya' know...

I love the light polymer single-stacks for carry. In .45, question is; Are you OK confidence-wise carrying 6+1? (Glock 36, Kahr CW45, Kahr P45) or 7+1 (Kahr TP45) or do you feel you need 10+1? (Glock 30 which is double-stack). These are all in the 22-24 oz. range and will be considerably easier to carry.

To me, as a non-LEO in low-risk occupations and areas... I don't feel I need to carry high-cap... So I don't (unless I just happen to feel like it once in awhile). But that's a factor each individual must decide for themselves.

I also don't require my polymer carry guns to be particularly soft shooters because the likelihood that I'll EVER have to actually fire a gun in SD is tiny and if it's a bit uncomfortable in those fateful three or four seconds, SO WHAT?

I shoot my carry guns enough to be proficient with them... But they're not my main range guns and that's perfectly logical to me.

It's a mindset. Some are into it, some aren't... and that's cool...

You might be the type that will settle on a (heavier) commander-size 1911... or perhaps even a 3" bbl 1911 if you find one that's reliable...

Or, as you hinted at, a smallish .40... It's all good. (There are some nice single-stack .40's out there).

But I get the feeling you're tending away from hi-cap and moving towards more comfort... and I say OK!

Last edited:

Grapevinebill

.40 is a good round

There are so many options as far as guns and the .40S&W round is a goos SD round. I haven't seen it mentioned here so you should also consider the Beretta line.

Mrgunsngear

For what you listed as criteria---M&P45 compact with an Apex trigger kit. I think the M&P triggers are fine but others despise them. The Apex kit solves the issue and still comes in under your budget. Mine has been 100% with everything from cheap steel FMJ to high quality JHPs and it's pretty accurate to boot. I carry it in a crossbreed holster frequently.

BRE346

The Taurus Millenniums come in 9mm, .40 and .45.
The carry easily and are popular and relatively inexpensive.

Chilli9880

Currently, I CC a PX4 Storm in .40 cal. Now, its not the smallest gun nor the biggest. Capacity is 14. I carry in a back, in the pants holster and honestly probably not the best choice CC but I have ZERO worries with it on me. Awesome gun.

But, as I asked on another thread, currently researching the M&P Compact .40 cal. 10 + 1 capacity. I've heard nothing but great things about it and from what the guys are saying on here, priced around $500.

Justice06RR

I didn't know they made the xd 4" in 45 I figured If there wasn't an xdm that they probably didn't have the xd either. Ill deffinately give that a look. The g36 is something I was giving a Long hard look earlier at my lgs. I like 1911's but don't own any yet and they seem more like something id want for fun and pleasure rather than carry. My ffl that I purchase just about everything from just emailed me and said he's taking in a lightly used xdm 3.8 in .40 and said I can have it for 450. What's your guys thoughts on the .40? I'm so lost right now its not even funny there are just too many options I need to win the lottery so I can have em all.

$450 for an XDM is a great price. I'd buy that in a hearbeat if I were you.

The 40caliber is a great round for SD, just a tad bit snappier in the recoil department vs 9mm or 45. But its very manageable and accurate if you practice enough with it.

I've owned three 40cal pistols for conceal carry - a XD40subcompact, a Taurus 740Slim, and a M&P40 full size. All were great carry guns that served me well without any issues of any kind. the Taurus 740 I was able to pocket carry due to its small size (very comparable to PF9). I also owned a PF9; unfortunately it jammed a lot so I sold it after 3 weeks of carrying it. Too bad because it was the best size pistol for conceal carry.

for a 45cal pistol, take a look at the Glock 30 and 36 too