Need an AR15 answer

cdoc42

I just received a gift of a .223 Panther AR15 rifle, new to a guy who has a 55 year history of revolvers and bolt-actions. I sent an e-mail to Panther, but failing a response, I'll ask here:

There is a spring-loaded button on the right side of the receiver, angled toward, but below, the bolt mechanism. No where in the instruction book is any mention of its function. What is it for?

WWWJD

And odds are good that you'll never ever use it. Lots of manufacturers leaving that part off these days. Was more necessary in the days of the M16 in the jungles of Vietnam where dirt and grim could leave a guy without a working rifle. Now they handle the dirt and grim much better than they ever did before.

RC20

And odds are good that you'll never ever use it. Lots of manufacturers leaving that part off these days. Was more necessary in the days of the M16 in the jungles of Vietnam where dirt and grim could leave a guy without a working rifle. Now they handle the dirt and grim much better than they ever did before.

Agreed on never needing it. Worse than an appendix (adds complexity and cost at negative return) .

As for Nam, question always was, what good does it do to force a round into a gummed up chamber? The answer is it does not.

So, the correct answer is you should never use it. You might get one shot.
Ok, I will say, if one shot will save your life, go for it. Otherwise......

globemaster3

Since racking an AR in the field can be a little loud when hunting, I normally ride my charging handle in and use the FA to fully lock up the bolt into battery.

Other than that, never used it. Even the immediate action drills the USAF is teaching ignore it.

Last edited:

Quentin2

I find it useful at the range, especially after doing a chamber check on an AR....

Same here, very useful for that so it's a feature that I want in an AR.
Nice to see you here Agent Tikki!

Palmetto-Pride

Ok I was being funny earlier, but here's my serious answer. I have used mine before when the bolt didn't go fully into battery, yea it doesn't happen often, but it still happens occasionally. I would rather have and not need it than need it and not have it.

Tucker 1371

The Marines teach us to use it but IMHO it's fairly useless unless your weapon is dirty and you absolutely HAVE to chamber a round that doesn't want to go in. You tap it and it nudges the bolt forward on a stubborn round.

If you're having to use the forward assist a lot you need to either A) Use better ammo B) clean your rifle or C) buy better mags.

Just my .02

CTS

If you're having to use the forward assist a lot you need to either A) Use better ammo B) clean your rifle or C) buy better mags.
Or Option D: a combination of any of the above.

Nathan

It is absolutely necessary because the gun has no way to apply forward pressure to the BCG. Without being closed, the gun is somewhere between difficult and impossible to breakdown..

That said, I have never used it for that, but I would. I have used to silently load. I would guess soldiers might use it for bolt closed confirmation after a quiet chamber check...

Palmetto-Pride

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I don't see how someone can say its useless when infact there are times when it is needed especially for a quit clambering to make sure the bolt goes into battery.

cdoc42

Thanks to all. I gather if I clean the weapon as I should, I should not need it. It sure would be helpful if the Pather user info made a note about it, though.