NEED ADVISE!

TANTOR

Does Anyone tried one of the new AMT DAO(Backup) 40S&W or 45 ACP??? Recoil, accuracy,reliability?
Thanks for any info

------------------
MKB
"Guns are for free and decent people"

Dave T

Had a student in one of my classes show up with one. He thought it was great but I thought it had one of the worst trigger pulls I had ever seen.

Oh, by the way. He used a different gun to qualify for his CCW permit.

------------------
Dave T
PCSD Ret
AMBUSCADE
Arizona CCW and Renewal Classes
Tactical Self -defense training.
ambush@theriver.com

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Can only speak for experience on the .45.

Recoil: brutal. This from someone who thinks a lightweight polymer 10mm is a box o' giggles. Reasons being, I guess, the blowback operation and the fact that the recoil springs were all stolen off of '75 Malibu Wagons with the towing package.

Accuracy: debateable. No sights and darn little in the way of a barrel. Trigger pull is off the charts and can't be lightened much as the mainspring/hammer tension forms part or the delay for the blowback of the slide.

As much as I like AMT, I was really underwhelmed by this little (but bizarrely heavy-for-its-size) critter.

------------------
"..but never ever Fear. Fear is for the enemy. Fear and Bullets."
10mm: It's not the size of the Dawg in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!

beemerb

Shot the 45 model.It KICKS and about the best groups I could get was 8 inches at 7 yards.Plus I cheated and used ligh hand loaded ammo.I don't mind recoil even 454 but that thing isn't good.I would sure pass on it.

Onslaught

Tantor...
I bought a new AMT 45 DAO backup a few years ago for $200.

Recoil was not pleasant at all. The shells kept ejecting directly into my forehead with enough force to TICK ME OFF!!! Trigger pull was an absolute WORKOUT! My hands would shake after just a few rounds. My wife could not pull the trigger at all! The gun jammed shut after about 150 rounds, and had to be sent back to AMT for repair. Customer service was the PINNACLE of rude, and further aggrivated me to the point of MIGRAINE headache!

After at least 8 weeks, a replacement gun arrived from AMT. I immediately took it back to the gunshop it came from, and traded it (along with an additional $75) for a new Taurus 85 UL. Best trade I ever made!

I know I'm a broke record, but if you want an AMT sized gun, Kahr MK9 or MK40 is THE WAY to go. Similar weight, smaller in size, MUCH better trigger pull, and 100% reliable! www.kahr.com
If cost is also an issue for you, look at the Kel-tec. These are not the cosmetic quality of the Kahr, trigger pull is heavy, but still worlds lighter than the AMT. I have no first hand experience about reliability, but I hear good things, and you can get LOTS of info by searching for Kel-Tec on TFL. www.kel-tec.com

From one TFL'er to another, please please PLEASE do not purchase an AMT.

[This message has been edited by Onslaught (edited November 10, 2000).]

TANTOR

Thanks all of you for your help and advises!!!!
I´ll forget AMT.....

------------------
MKB
"Guns are for free and decent people"