Need advise on 45acp OAL

rblack

I have a new colt 1911A1 stainless that I've been having problems with feeding. I do all my own reloads and have for quite some time. My standard reload is ranier 230gr copper coated bullet with 5.5 gr W231 and Winchester primers with an OAL of 1.265. This load feeds well in all my 45 acp guns including all the 1911's.
On this paticular gun they hang up most of the time, but when I feed it Precision ammo's 230gr HP's, it runs flawlessly. The AOL of this particular HP is 1.215. My question is how much shorter can I make the OAL of the ranier and should I cut back slightly on the amount of powder being used.
Thanks

sricciardelli

The .45ACP case is forgiving....seat the problem loads deeper until they feed. OAL is totally dependant upon the bullet shape and construction...

I see no need to cut back your powder load.

rblack

Thanks sricciardelli for the response. I tried them at 1.250 and they still choked, think I could still go shorter. The HP's feed just fine and are very accurate.

Frohickey

Try this on an empty case with no primer.

Seat a Rainer bullet deeper and deeper until it fits in the gun in question. I bet the ogive of the bullet is touching the lands at 1.260" OAL, and the deeper you seat it allows it to chamber correctly.

You might be able to see the marks the lands makes on the bullet. You could also smoke the bullet with a candle and look for the land marks.

When you find the depth at which the Rainer load chambers, add another 0.010" deeper, and you should be good to go.

Edward429451

I seat my 225 gr lead flatpoints to 1.190 to get em to feed in my glock. I've went Up to 6.0 of WW-231, even though my standard load is 5.8 gr.

My jacketed loads are seated out to 1.220 to 1.225 OAL with the same charge, nary a problem.

You should be OK. Happy shooting!