Need advice with my G26

sliponby

I've had my G26 for about 3 months and have put about 1500 rounds through it. On 2 occasions, upon putting in a loaded magazine with the slide locked back, the slide released and chambered a round as soon as the magazine was seated. This kind of startles me as I'm not expecting this to happen. I have a Ruger P89 that I've had for 12 years and thousands of rounds, a PM9 w/1500 rds, and LCP ~500 rds and I've never experienced this with any of those pistols. I have the pistol in my shooting grip in my right had and in no way am I hitting the slide release.

Is this an issue I should be concerned about? Thanks for any advice you may render.

rsxr22

You should be happy about this!! It takes out the need for overhand slingshotting!

It is perfectly normal and a lot of instructors and competition shooters train to do it, it is simply the angle you slam the magazine in at. I doubt you are actually contacting the SLIDE STOP when inserting the magazine and whats happening is what i initially said. It seems like alot of guns do this. I can do it on a glock, xd, m&p, sig, HK. No 1911 though

sliponby

Wow. I've learned something tonight. This has only happened with my G26 and I've never heard anyone speak of or post anything about this so I thought maybe I had a problem.

What technique do you use to cause this to occur? I've always just slammed the mag home and slingshot the slide. Thanks for the feedback.

voyager4520

It's a quirk of the loose tolerances of the design. Sometimes it will happen, sometimes not. Make sure you're paying attention when you insert the magazine, don't depend on it happening - just train to pay attention to whether it happens or not.

gruntrus

Is this an issue I should be concerned about? Thanks for any advice you may render.

Yup, when this happens our Dept. has trained us to rack the slide again to make sure there is a round in the chamber. It has happened, on occassion, where the top round in the mag. did not chamber. It is rare, but has happened, and on duty in this scenario is nowhere to have an empty chamber.

That said, in range shooting on my own time I like it. :)

Amin Parker

This is the first im hearing of this.

Am i the only one that does not like this? I am of the opinion that all functions and actions of a firearm should be deliberate ( or accidental unfortunately ). If i insert a magazine into a pistol and the slide flies forward there is something wrong with that pistol if i did not touch the slide stop.

If i was a range officer i would report this and render such a weapon unsafe. A pistol is not supposed to do that.

Am i the only one that feels this way? Surely not?

Uncle Malice

I've never had it happen to my glocks, but I have heard of it. It DOES happen on every single HK i've owned....

It's not an intentional design, but it's a known issue. I wouldn't consider it a bonus, and I wouldn't train that way because it's certainly not as reliable. It all caused by the inertia of you slamming the magazine into the gun.

It's fun to do on the range, but train yourself to use the slide release or slingshot method. There's a long running debate on which of those is "better", but that's outside of the scope of this article.

In any case, it's not unheard of. Your gun is not broken.

happy shooting! :)

RoscoeC

It is quite common on Glocks. Especially if you are slamming the magazine home as you should. I have most often seen it happen when putting a longer magazine in the gun. For example when you put a 17 round magazine into a G26.

I have three Glocks, a G26, G19, and G29. I have about 22,000 rounds collectively through them. I have taken 2 pistol courses. I have never seen the situation described by gruntrus (slide closes when magazine is inserted, but no round is chambered). I am not questioning whether it does happen, just saying that I haven't seen it happen. I do not rack when this happens, and am confident enough that I will probably not change my practice.

For LEO training purposes I think it is a good idea, because that slight hesitation while your brain sorts out whether to rack or not could have disastrous consequences. Just always rack. The only thing you lose is one round. On second thought I think I am going to change. Rack anyway. That way the routine is always the same regardless.

Last edited:

rsxr22

This is the first im hearing of this.

Am i the only one that does not like this? I am of the opinion that all functions and actions of a firearm should be deliberate ( or accidental unfortunately ). If i insert a magazine into a pistol and the slide flies forward there is something wrong with that pistol if i did not touch the slide stop.

If i was a range officer i would report this and render such a weapon unsafe. A pistol is not supposed to do that.

Am i the only one that feels this way? Surely not?

Considering that the majority of guns out there will do this because of the looser tolerances I'll have to disagree. Your thinking is correct, but it is almost kind of a trade secret as you can see that most people dont even know what the op was talking about. Everyone that makes guns designate their design as being the best, when in all reality, almost every gun out there could be improved. For instance, I buy a glock, I immediately re-work to lighten the trigger or i polish for a smoother pull, and i immediately stipple the frame and do a grip reduction to make the gun more functional for me.

sliponby

RoscoeC, it does happen only with a G19 mag that i carry for reload. Although I have 2 10 rd. mags and 4 15 rd (G19's) I usually carry a 10 rd in the gun and a 15 rd backup. Sometimes I'm lucky to get some impromptu range time in on my land outside of town and I have only those 2 mags with me.

This situation never really bothered me, I was just unfamiliar with it and wanted to be sure that it was, in fact, a non-issue. I like non-issues...too may real issues to deal with as it is. Thanks again for the enlightenment.:)

bearone2

sounds like the slide release is worn. when locked back, anything but you releasing the slide is dangerous in my book.

Hitthespot

I just purchased a M&P40c. At the range yesterday it happened to me twice. I thought I received a defective gun. However the manual clearly states that if you slam the magazine into the gun hard it can cause the slide to close. So I considered it normal.

JohnKSa

Administrator
If inserting the magazine normally causes the slide to drop then there's a problem.

If you're slamming it home fairly vigorously then it can happen with many designs because of the way the slide stop operates. It shouldn't be unexpected if the magazine is really slammed into the mag well.

Hog Red

OP, my G26 has never done it with 10 rnd mags. doesn't sound like yours does either, i can see where the extended mags might contribute to this.

mak52580

My understanding is that Glocks were meant to do this so that you don't have to overhand the slide or use the slide release lever. It allows you to do quick changes and maintain fire control.

Ozzieman

I just spent the last 10 minutes trying to do this with my G26 with snap caps in the magazine. I also tried it with all 7 of my magazines. This gun has some modifications. All by a factory Glock gunsmith.
Not once did the slide close.
And I was slamming them in by putting the magazine into the gun half way then hitting the bottom of the mag with the palm of my hand firmly.
Probably 30 times.
I can assure you if my 26 did this, I would have it looked at. This is not what I consider a positive trait.
But that’s my opinion.