Need Advice. Value of a Colt Dick Special

1tfl

One of my co-worker has fallen on some hard financial times and want to sell me one of his gun.

It is a Colt Detective Special made in 1975 according to the serial number. It is in 95% condition with no rust or worn area. It has been fired about 500-800 times and well care for. He lost the original box and the wood grip so it now has a Pachmayer rubber grip.

He took it to a local gun shop where they offered him $275 for it and to a pawn shop where they offered $250. He offered to me this morning and said I can just pay him what I think it is worth, no more and no less... if I want it.

I'm not trying to get this gun cheap as I already have couple of Colt snub nose revolvers. I just want him to get fair price for it. I think $400 is a fair value since it doesn't have the original grip or the box. Does that sound fair? Maybe more, or less?

Oh, he also has a blued Colt Trooper Mark III in 357 magnum with 6" barrel in goo to very good condition. Again, no box but has the original wood grip. What is that worth? I got a feeling he'll offer me that revolver too.

I figured I'll buy both at fair value and then give him the option to buy it back from me at same price later if I still have them.

JMag

I think $400 would be a pretty good deal for you and a much better deal for your co-worker than his other offers.

gvf

ones like your seem to go for $400 on different auction sites: Gunbroker, auctionarms and Gunsamerica - the latter mostly want ads. Take a look.

I was lucky as I picked mine up in very good shape for $279 a few months ago from local store. The Colt Dick is A GREAT snub!