Need Advice On Pistol Finish

taco

I'm looking to refinish one of my 1911 pistols soon and need some advice on what finish would meet my needs. My requirements are as follows:

1. Durable - Something that would not show holster wear or scratched very easily.

2. Rust resistance - This is one of my CCW guns and I sweat a lot.

3. Matte/non-reflective finish - I don't like flashy/shiny guns for CCW purpose.
4. Black color - I like black or atleast very dark grey.

Would be nice if the finish was self lubricating but is not a requirement.

What are my choices?

Last edited:

Pendragon

I would do a lot of reading.

There are some interesting hi-tech finishes that are supposed to be the end all be all finish.

Some of them will flake off, some will wear out, some are thick and require gunsmithing.

I think I am going to have my Valtro hard chromed - at least the slide, maybe the whole gun...

Most guns should be easier - the Valtro and other close tolerance weapons should be done right.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
How much are you willing to spend?

Per your post, a polymer finish like Black T sounds about right. I had my 1911 hard chromed and I like the finish. If I wanted it dark, I'd probably spring for a can of Brownell's bake on finish and apply it over the hard chrome.

Hard chrome is about $140, Black T about $200, can from Brownell's is (IIRC) $40.

pogo2

The Robar Companies of Phoenix are well-known for their gun finishes. Their website is:Robar

deluxepackage.gif

AndABeer

i have a pistol away being redone in boron carbide which supposedly would meet your criteria, i will post pics when it returns but it will be a few weeks yet, it has been an odd experience thus far though

I've got a pistol in Roguard - which so far is the toughest and most corrosion resistant black finish I've found. My only complaint with it is how closely it resembles paint in appearance.

I'm having a pistol done Boron Carbide which may or may not be the new uber-black finish on the market.

Don't have any personal guns done in Black-T; but there is a guy who shoots who does and we compare. We both agree that Roguard stands up to wear better. Neither finish shows any corrosion so hard to compare there and we both agree that Black-T looks more like a 'gun finish'.

To tell you the truth, right now I'm really leaning towards bluing or parkerizing for any future work. Custom finishes are neat but its a pain to find replacement parts finished in the latest space-age wonder finish and the processes take a long time and are expensive.

CastleBravo

Most people (including pistolsmiths) consider hard chrome the finish to beat... way tougher than any other proven finish, good corrosion resistance and the price isn't bad. Only downside is a light-colored gun.

Boron Carbide isn't considered proven by most, and a couple people had problems with it flaking off on its own, but when the application works it seems to be damn near indestructible. Harder than chrome (which is what it is usually applied over) and dark gray in color. Seems like the dark finish of the future if/when the bugs are worked out.

Polymer finishes like Black-T, Gunkote, Bearcoat, Roguard and so on are great for corrosion resistance, but look like glorified paint and don't wear too well. When worn, they look like worn paint, unlike bluing which at least looks like it has "character" when it wears. That said, alot of people report that their guns don't rust even where the coating is worn down to bare metal.

NP3 has alot of fans, it isn't quite as hard as hard chrome but is super-slick and provides better corrosion resistance. Looks like, well, nickel.

Prodigalshooter

My Springfield is at Robar right now, getting Roguard and NP3 treatment, it will look just like Pogo2's pistol when it's done. I will post my impressions once it's back, should be early November. I didn't realize how much you can miss a gun, till you send it away for 6 weeks or so! It's my only .45acp pistol and I'm anxious to get it back! I love my 9mm's, but once you have a 1911, you can't be without.
Patience, patience...;)

Coltdriver

The most recent innovation on the market is Boron Carbide.

I have an 89 vintage Browning Hi Power MKIII done in Boron Carbide and it turned out in a satin to matte grey.

It is nice looking, has been tough as nails so far and is holding up to field carry in a nylon holster without any wear showing up (I take it as a side arm when I hunt Coyotes).

The best part to me, is that the company that ultimately did the application, Diamond Cote, guarantees the finish for as long as you own it.

They have improved the process since and I am welcome to send it back at my expense and they will refinish it for the cost of postage.

In my experience with one of everything except hard chrome, that is the best deal you can get.

All finishes so far are expected to wear off with time. And they do. So this is a great deal.

But the upshot so far is, it is tough as nails.

Do a look up on poster ArmySon. He posted some pics of a very highly polished .45 done in Boron Carbide that just came out too pretty to shoot! If you look up my handle I have posted a few pics of my HP.

The ultimate sheen of the Boron Carbide is dependant on the level of polish on the metal below it. A bead blasted area on your pistol will come out flat, a highly polished stainless part will come out a nearly transparent gloss. My HP came out uniformly satin grey with the exception of the barrel which took on the sheen of ArmySons .45.

A little artful mixing of bead blast and polish could really make a dramatic gun with a finish as tough as nails.

Kentucky Rifle

Coltdriver...

I have a Microtech knife with a Boron Carbide finish. I've had this knife for more than a year, and there are NO marks at all on the blade or the scales! I'm looking at it right now. It looks as good today as the day I bought it. I'm beginning to think this would be a great finish for a pistol.

KR

Snowdog

My K9 came with an electroless nickel finish. I've sweat all over that pistol (sometimes with hours before wipedown) for years during CCW and I've had exactly zero problems with it. I was so impressed that I had my Kimber done as well.

They are matte but probably not dark enough for your tastes according to your post. However, it certainly isn't "flashy" but any means.

Christopher II

There is such a thing as "Black Chrome," but it is very soft and not really suitable for a gun finish.

Boron Carbide would work for you, if you want to go that route. One finish that no one has mentioned is a phosphate finish (Parkerizing.) Very durable, good rust resistance, can be applied in black or dark grey. It's also cheap.

- Chris

Incursion

Hard chrome over electroless nickel would probably give you the best wear and corrosion resistance. Boron carbide is supposed to be really good as well.