Need advice on O/U Options for under $800

Jamie Young

I had to retire a family 16gauge O/U after breaking a part in it and going through a lot of headaches to get a gunsmith to machine a new part for it that I'm afraid of having to go through the same ordeal again on a gun that technically isn't my own. I had a Remington 870 that went from a duck gun to a HD gun and I'm not in the mood for converting it back for an upcoming hunting trip.

I know very little about O/U and hunting shotguns and would appreciate some suggestions on what I should look for when shopping. I DO NOT want a pump or semi-auto. Only an over/under 12gauge.

Can I get a decent one for under $800?

zippy13

Yikes, Jamie Young, you're gonna stir up another hornet's nest over the definition of a "decent" O/U. Those of us who have used O/Us on a regular basis tend to agree that a minimum "decent" O/U would typically be a Beretta, Browning or equivalent in the $2,000 to $3,000 range. Of course, there will always be those who have a third world $500 gun that they claim has served them faithfully and can out shoot most comers. IMHO, for a "decent" O/U at $800 you need to be at the right place at the right time and get a great deal on a used O/U. What are you going to shoot with your new O/U?

In a recent thread I opined: With some shotgun owners, if someone buys a more expensive gun it's an unnecessary extravagance and they're a snob -- and, if it's less expensive it's a POS and they're a cheapskate.

While reading recommendations for specific "decent" O/Us be sure to have you "B/S" and "Ego" detectors active.

Last edited:

Jamie Young

For small game or turkey.

I'm just looking for one that goes bang and has two cylinders, do I really need to spend $2000 for that?

For small game or turkey.

I'm just looking for one that goes bang and has two cylinders, do I really need to spend $2000 for that?

You can get by very well by spending 1500 on a new o/u... If you only have 800, I recommend getting another 870 and leave it as a dedicated hunting shotgun..

Ludarue

IDK about a used Browning O/U for 800, but I do know that you should be able to find a used Ruger Red Label in good condition for that price.

164L.jpg

roy reali

Waranty Issue

Granted, some used shotugns are better then some new ones. I admit that. But, a used gun may or may not have a warranty. Many are sold "as is". Most new guns come with a waranty. If a new gun, regardless of price, breaks, you get to have it fixed or replaced for free.

You could buy a used $10,000 shotguns and be SOL if it breaks. You could pull the trigger of it and it doesn't even fire. The seller, if he is fair, will make good on the gun. But he does not have to.

That is an advantage of new guns.

BigJimP

If you are new to O/U shotguns - you need to do a little research on O/U's in general / visit some gun stores, talk to your buddies, etc.

In the Browning Citori lineup there are about 25 different models. Their entry level field gun - is the Lightning series - and lists for $ 1,869 but sells new for around $ 1,750.

http://www.browning.com/products/ca...type_id=461&content=citori-lightning-firearms

The Browning Citori Lightning model has been sold for about 35 years. Some of the older versions, sold in the late 1980's are still very good guns ( I bought one new in 1988 for about $ 750 - and still have it) ...and I've since picked up a couple used ones on the market for under $ 1,000. The older screw in choke system was called the Invector / the newer one's since about 1998 are called Invector Plus - but either system is just fine. Prior to 1980 or so / they were fixed chokes / not screw in changeable chokes and I would stay away from those older guns because without changeable chokes the guns are not as versatile.

Today, a Lightning that sold new in 1988 for $ 750 - in very good shape can command at least $ 1,250 on the used market if it has screw in chokes. But I've found a few with scratched up stocks / that I've been able to restore with some time and elbow grease that are fine guns.

There are a lot of inexpensive O/U's on the market Baikal, Stoeger, Mossberg, Remington, TriStar (sold by Cabela's) ....and we debate the pros and cons of those guns on this forum all the time ...but I say stay away from them on the used market / because often they were guns with issues that were sold or traded for something else and no way to know what the issue was ( bad trigger, barrels not hitting the same point of impact, etc ). If you're going to buy one of them / then go with a new one - maybe like the TriStar that sells for around $ 600 new and comes with a 5 yr warranty. None of those guns, in my opinion, are 1/10th as good as a used Browning Citori or Beretta ....but that's my opinion ...but some shooters report they've had good luck with them.

Personally, my bird hunting O/U's are the same guns I shoot Skeet and Sporting Clays with - Browning Citori, XS Skeet model, with adj combs ...but those are out of your budget range - even used they're around $ 2,000.

Good luck / have fun with your search.

I'm not endorsing TriStar shotguns ....just telling you what I know about them - and on their website ....you can see prices, details on their 5 yr warranty, etc ...and Cabela's and others are selling them last I knew. They may or may not be a serviceable shotgun for 5,000 or 10,000 shells - I can't tell you / but I doubt they'll hold much value on the used market. One of my local shops that buys and sells a lot of used guns / says he won't take any more in for trades or buy anymore of them used.

http://www.tristarsportingarms.com/

Apparently their service center is near Kansas City ...

Last edited:

Red_Eagle

I would recommend a Yeldiz, but there not available in the NE. In which case a CZ (Huglu) or a Stoeger whould be your best bet. I like my Browning, but I'd never take a $1,800+ shotgun into the woods, much less a duck blind.

shogan191

Go to CDNN and download PDF #4.

Look at the Lanber and the Winchester 101. The Winchester is going for $999.00 and the Lanbers are $599,99 to $699.99.

Both are good guns. Look at the 2097 Tiny Blems.

OkieCruffler

At the risk of offending a couple of folks I actually respect, there are plenty of guns that will fit in that budget. Are you planning on running 10K thru it a year or will it go out a dozen times and shoot maybe a box each outing? I recently bought a Yildez just to get into the O/U game. So far I have 300 trouble free rounds thru it, no endurance trial mind you but I'll shoot a max of 2600 rounds a year thru this gun and that's if I neglect all my others.
That being said I've seen alot of Winchester 101's for $6-800. I kinda like them but I hear these horror stories about how they rip your arms off. I've found a couple of Citoris that have seen better days for around $800. You just have to look around.

Homer-Sm

Another vote for CDNN and the Lanber. I bought the Sports Lux 13 months ago and have fired approx 3,000 rounds through it without 1 single problem.

Great shotgun for the money.