Need Advice on Freestanding Brass Catcher

Lurch37

In an effort to reduce hitting fellow shooters and chasing brass when my HK91 spits the empty 30 feet away, I'm wanting to either build or buy a freestanding brass catcher. I like the looks of this one at midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=942827#enlarge

I was hoping to spend less than $60 on one though but if the thing is worth it, then I'm not against getting one. On that note, does anyone use one of these, and if so, what is your opinion of it.

I also thought of building one out of pvc and netting or something along those lines.

So, I would appreciate any ideas and comments regarding either buying the midway one or similar, or building one that has done you well. Thanks!

oneounceload

I used to use two different ones - one sat on the benchtop that was a piece of cloth attached to two wooden dowels that could be placed in a 2x4; the other was larger - used PVC pipe and a clear shower curtain (let's folks see up and down the firing line) - could be broken down into a few pieces and placed the trunk

In either case, the brass would hit the cloth/curtain and roll down into a nice pile for pickup

Avenger

I made a brass catcher for my Garand using a .50cal can and a piece of aluminum sheet thick enough to be decently strong but flexible enough to bend without tools. Cut the sheet so it will fit along half of the inside of the can (one long side and one short side). Fold it so it has a short side and a long side. You want the SHORT side to be JUST a little longer than the inside of the can, and the long side just a little SHORTER. The fold should result in not quite a 90* angle.

Push the sheet down into the can. The short side should hold the whole thing in place securely, but it'll still flex and rattle when brass hits it. That flex and rattle will keep the brass from ricocheting away, and it'll drop straight down into the can. At the end of the day, just pull the sheet out and shut the lid on the can.

Lurch37

I appreciate the ideas guys and I want to thank you. I would like to add, if you want that is, to post apic when you can so I can get an idea of what yours looks like.

Thanks again!

LHB1

I thought about building a brass catcher but decided to buy the Ultimate Brass Catcher from CMM instead. It is far nicer/better than anything I could build. Have used it for a couple of years now. It works great! I bought five thousand new Win brass cases for my .45's at the same time and this catcher really saves me a lot of effort and lost brass/money.
http://www.cmmshootingsports.com/index.php?cPath=21_25

Pietro Beretta

I just use a 6x6 foot section of tarp that I lay on the ground before I shoot . Sure I might lose some brass, and Sure I might look like a fool, and sure the operator of the range seems to give me looks since part of their profit is collecting brass . OH WELL!!

That looks like a net that you use when you have a decent aquarium. Or the net they use to catch minnow bait when you go deep sea fishing with a telescoping dowel and stand.

$85 bucks for that thing, are they joking what is that ... something like 300% markup...:barf:

Lurch37

Pietro Beretta, the use of the tarp is a great idea and I too use one when shooting semi auto pistols or rifles free hand out in the grass. But when shooting semi auto pistols or rifles from the bench I want and need something to not only catch my brass, but to keep it from hitting the guy shooting next to me.

LHB1, thanks for that link, that looks like a decent one also but it costs even more than the one at midway. It does however have that adjustable stem so maybe it's worth it as a guy could use it for more applications.

Thanks!

drail

I rigged up a catcher using an old fishing dip net ( a big one ) attached to a short tripod. Just position it in line with your gun's ejection pattern and all the brass goes into the net. You can lower it for prone shooting or raise it up for standing. The whole thing will fold up flat for easy transport. I also used an old mike stand with a net attached to a boom which gave a lot of angle adjustment. I have also seen guys at the range setting a cardboard box on its side next to their position to catch brass. With a little imagination you'll come up with an idea that's cheap and workable. Just look around in your garage.