Need advice on dueling tree

sliponby

Moderators, please move if this is not the right category.

I am in the market for a dueling tree for my range. Everyone seems familiar with Action Targets tree for around $450 plus shipping. I've done some research and came up with a couple others that are considerably less costly and am hoping that some members of the forum may have some firsthand experience and would be willing to share their knowledge and opinions.

Here's one from a company called Metal Targets, http://metaltargets.com/dueling-trees/centerfire-rifle/6-paddle-dueling-tree-rifle.html. One feature I like with theirs is the support post is AR500 steel.

Another is called On Target, http://www.ontargettargets.com/dueling-tree.html

Thanks for any advice you may render.

tric3imagery

Moderators, please move if this is not the right category.

I am in the market for a dueling tree for my range. Everyone seems familiar with Action Targets tree for around $450 plus shipping. I've done some research and came up with a couple others that are considerably less costly and am hoping that some members of the forum may have some firsthand experience and would be willing to share their knowledge and opinions.

Here's one from a company called Metal Targets, http://metaltargets.com/dueling-trees/centerfire-rifle/6-paddle-dueling-tree-rifle.html. One feature I like with theirs is the support post is AR500 steel.

Another is called On Target, http://www.ontargettargets.com/dueling-tree.html

Thanks for any advice you may render.
Nice find,like the 6 plate ,re-post if you buy sure would like to see reviews. Have a lot of steel, going to see what my welder friend says about cost,with and without steel, Figure 6-6" plates run 56-70 bucks from magnum steel, that's the cheap parts. 280$ + something delivered not a bad offering 6 plate tree, buy it let us know

buckhorn_cortez

I have the "Big Jake" from Red Stitch Tactical.

Heavy duty in the extreme. Have used it for several pistol classes with thousands of rounds fired at it. They make an 8-target model and 6-target model. The one I have has 3/8-inch, AR500 steel plates.

The center column is a 3/16-inch thick piece of angle iron. I like it because the plates are easy to install and take out of the center column.

novalty

Sliponby I am in the market for a dueling tree as well, and have been looking around to see what is out there. Have a couple of steel targets now from Action Target, and have been considering their tree as well. As you mentioned it is about $450. The only thing that I am not a big fan of is the center post being made of mild steel. The weight of their tree is around 110# and is 60" tall.

I've also looked at X-Steel Targets--which looks like it might have a slightly more stable base. They also use a mild steel center post, and when I spoke with them today, they said the unit weighs around 90# With discount code it comes to almost the same price as the Action Target unit shipped.

I've looked at Salute Targets, but I think their standard Armored Tree, while in the same price range and has a AR500 center post--only weighs 68# and is 48" tall vs competitors 60" tall.

Lastly, and I have been looking at Red Stitch Tactical's Dueling Tree, which is $385 for a 6 paddle. They do not list the weight or height of this tree. My biggest concern on their tree is how the paddles are bolted to plate welded onto a steel rod. I do like that you can add a AR500 shield for the center post, and it makes it about $40 more than the Action Target unit--plus has AR550 paddles.

g.willikers

A cautionary bit of advice for dueling trees learned the hard way.
Make sure the paddle hinges are well lubed, rust free and operational, or you could be playing a game of bullet ping pong.

dieselbeef

im building this3/8 ar500 plates. 8'' 100$ for all the plates...rest of it is scrap stuff. still need the 2x2 angle to stop the siwng and protect the stand. dang the tree pic is too big..hang on

Attachments

• steel3.jpg
    steel3.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 20
  • steel4.jpg
    steel4.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 30