need advice on ammo

I have a Ruger 327 magnum revolver & had bought some very cheap 32 S&W Long LRN ammo from PPU. Never fired such dirty filthy ammo in my life.

Question is what practice ammo in 32 S&W Long is the cleanest ammo??
For SD I use Hornady 32 H&R magnum 80 grain FTX ammo. Very Clean.

I appreciate some advice & all coments are welcome on this subject.

105kw

You might want to try Cowboy Action ammo in .32mag. Black Hills was fairly clean in my Ruger single action.

327 FM

I have used that PPU also. Never had a gun lead so bad.

I was impressed with Remington 32 S&W long.

I do reload though, and IMO that is the way to go. I use Acme 78 grain coated bullets with HP-38/Win 231.

JERRYS.

I use a mix and haven't really paid attention to what was dirty or not. Aquilla makes a low cost .32 Long round that shoots pretty good in my LCR.

Targa

Start reloading and then talk to me about dirty ammo...it’s the quickest way to make a stainless revolver look blued....:D. Seriously though, if the rounds shoot accurately I couldn’t care less how dirty they are, I am going to clean the gun anyway.

I'm spending alot of $$$ to buy ready made ammo. Truth be it, I'm a little afraid to roll my own. Since I shoot 3 times/week & go thru 100 to 150 rounds of varios calibres each time, maybe I should try to make my own ammo.

ThomasT

I hope at least you are saving all of your brass. When you have the cases on hand the loads are pretty cheap. I have been reloading for over 40 years and casting for around 30 years. Its a great way to be able to spend more time with your guns. I mean you can't shoot all the time.

I sit at my loading bench with the radio on and just load ammo. Its fun and soothing to me. Better than the mindless crap on TV. My wife can stare at a TV screen all day and watch the same moronic commercials over and over again. Not me.

I am still using the same RCBS Rockchucker press I started with long ago. Its a single stage so its not fast but I'm in no hurry anyway. I may stretch out loading 300-400 rounds over a couple of nights. Deprime and resize then reprime one night then the next night I powder the cases and seat the bullets.

Casting my own bullets was one of the best moves I made. I have around 30 bullet molds all made by Lee and around 1400 pounds of lead. Both wheel weights and pure lead for my BP rifles. I have lots of cases, shelves of powder and over 20,000 primers. I've had my stuff so long I don't even remember what it cost. So its like shooting for free now.

And when we had ammo shortages a few years ago I never felt the slightest pinch. I recommend reloading to anyone who will listen.

Doc Holliday 1950 said:
Truth be it, I'm a little afraid to roll my own.
When you haven't done it, the notion of putting together your very own mini-bomblets can seem daunting. I was the same way for a good many years; I was in awe of friends who dared to make their own ammunition, but I was hesitant to try it for myself. I finally woke up to the realization that people dumber than I were able to do it, and it isn't exactly rocket surgery.

I went on-line, bought a starter press kit, and never looked back. Now I'm NRA certified to teach reloading.

Check out the "Reloading" discussion area on this site. There are a lot of extremely knowledgeable people, almost all of whom are willing and able to assist novices in getting up to speed.

TruthTellers

All lead bullets will be smoky and seem dirty, it's just a nature of the beast. I haven't shot any factory lead .32 ammo in a while, but IIRC Fiocchi wadcutters shot well and weren't too bad.

Magtech makes a SJHP .32 S&W Long ammo, but it's fairly pricey at near $20 a box.

Since you said you shoot 100 to 150 rounds a week, I would strongly suggest reloading. I have a thread detailing a special handload for .327 using the Berry's 71 grain plated .32 ACP bullet. There's a few things you'll have to buy to get this load working right, nothing too expensive, but there is work involved and you cannot make this load on a progressive press.

Also, there's little to be afraid of with my load because I use Trail Boss powder, which is working at less than half the SAAMI pressure of .327's max pressure of 45k PSI.

I'll link it here, but if you're interested and have any questions, shoot me a PM.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605258

Actually I shoot my 2 glocks the 19 & 43x & My 2 revolvers are the 327 sp101
& the 3" King Cobra.(hit a lottery ticket for this).

So I'm looking to reload both Semis & Revolvers. Does this help & do I need different press kits? I know zippo about this & am reading everyone's replies then looking them up.

I have 2posts going on at the same time on this.

Targa

I have the Lee Classic Turret, it is built well, auto index’s for you if you want and just does what it is suppose to. I don’t care much for the Lee Safety prime but others seem to like it. What I do like a lot is that the turrets are so cheap (around $13 each) I have four of them for each set of dies that I have. I want to go from .44 to.454 to .357 to .450 Bushmaster etc etc... simply takes 5 seconds to change out turrets and I am ready to go. The Lee dies have also been outstanding for me and are as inexpensive as it gets.

Targa

So I'm looking to reload both Semis & Revolvers. Does this help & do I need different press kits?

No sir, one press will do both but the kind of press you select can effect how fast you can reload a round.

ThomasT

So I'm looking to reload both Semis & Revolvers. Does this help & do I need different press kits? I know zippo about this & am reading everyone's replies then looking them up.

One press then different dies for each new caliber you add.

All lead bullets will be smoky and seem dirty, it's just a nature of the beast. I haven't shot any factory lead .32 ammo in a while, but IIRC Fiocchi wadcutters shot well and weren't too bad.

If your lead bullets are smokey its because of the lube not the lead bullets themselves. If you haven't tried it order some Rooster Jacket tumble lube from Midway. Its dries fast and goes a long way to lowering the smoke from the bullets.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010286646?pid=746916

I think this the same thing Hornady uses on their lead bullets.

gwpercle

If you enjoy shooting , consider reloading .
Coated bullets and a powder such as AA #2 , Bullseye or Red Dot will get you cleaned up .
I do all my handgun ammo and 30-30 rifle now with a little Lee Hand Press sitting at the kitchen or computer table inside my house . No bench or bench mounted tools are required. The little hand press is a small single stage press that uses dies and shell holders ...you will always find a use for it even if you upgrade later to bench mounted tools . I have two hand presses and 5 bench mounted presses .

The most expensive part of ammo is the brass case , save them . When you decide to start reloading you will be all set with "free" brass .

Believe it or not the beeswax type bullet lubes and regular primers add a lot to the smoke and grunge, changing to lead free primers and coated bullets will clean things up a bunch !
Gary

Doc Holliday has a thread running in the Reloading discussion area about his reloading questions. Let's keep THIS discussion on the topic of his question about "store bought" ammo:

Question is what practice ammo in 32 S&W Long is the cleanest ammo??

T. O'Heir

"...such dirty filthy ammo..." That's most likely caused by the OAL difference between the Long(1.280") and the Mag(1.350"). Same as shooting .38 Special in a .357.
And a lead bullet makes it worse.
.32 calibre handguns are illegal here, so I couldn't tell you which ammo to use.
When you get into reloading, you can load Mag cases to Long velocities though. Just like you can load both .44 Mag and .357 with .44 Special and .38 Special data, respectively.

ViperR

The cleanest and good priced 32 Longs are Fiocchi 97gr FMJ. I shot a bunch of these and saved the brass for reloading now. Polymer coated hard cast 100gr with clean HP-38 is a very clean reload because the poly coating eliminates the need for wax.

TruthTellers

"...such dirty filthy ammo..." That's most likely caused by the OAL difference between the Long(1.280") and the Mag(1.350"). Same as shooting .38 Special in a .357.
And a lead bullet makes it worse.
.32 calibre handguns are illegal here, so I couldn't tell you which ammo to use.
When you get into reloading, you can load Mag cases to Long velocities though. Just like you can load both .44 Mag and .357 with .44 Special and .38 Special data, respectively.
I think his complaints had more to do with the smoke from the bullet lube and length of the case has no effect on the amount of smoke produced. It would in having to clean the crude ring from the chamber.

ThomasT

Since I reload I don't use much factory ammo but I have bought Magtech before and don't remember any problems or complaints with it. I have it posted in my Midway link above and the price is right at the half dollar per round mark.

You may be able to find it a little cheaper on line somewhere else but it does seem to shoot OK. I don't remember it being extra dirty. All guns get dirty when you shoot them so its not a thing I really take note of.