Need advice on a rifle to go with this scope~~~

Glenner

I just got a deal on an OLD Lyman Target scope. It's one of those real long one's with a 3/4'' tube and a big spring on it. They're so cool looking........I've always wanted one.
I need to figure out what would be the most appropriate rifle to put under that scope, I'd like to have a set up that is correct for the time period. Please help me with some suggestions and pictures if possible.
I appreciate any helpful advice I can get.
THANK YOU!

1223081418.jpg

Last edited:

texfar

Oh Man beautiful, out of my league as well, but not my buddies as he has a couple like that one and similiar period UNERTL. Will give him a call tonight. I am sure your post will get lit up before I get a reply, 8 hrs time difference, but I will chime in with his knowledge.
Ken

Last edited:

kraigwy

Well, my first guess would be a Winchester Model 70 Target Rifle, it just looks like it would fit, Or maybe a Wincherster Model 52 22 or H&Rs 5200 (dern near the same thing).

I've seen them on 1903 Springfields that were converted to target rilfes.

You have a great scope, Getting hard to find. You notice the spring, what happens is the scope slides back and forth, You get your proper eye relief a under recoil the scope slides toward the front of the rifle. This is suppose to keep you from getting wacked in the eye because the eye relief will be closer to the eye then normal scopes. Sometimes, if the tention isnt adjusted right, you get wacked anyway, (Ask me how I know this).

I dont have a lyman like yours, but I do have a Remington 24 X, built about the same way.

You can mount it on any good target rifle, If you can't find mounts (bases) let me know I'll fix you
up.

Edit: After re-reading your post, to further answer you question, you can make an 'ERA' target rilfe from a 1903 Springfield action, Mauser, or Winchester (which would be more pricy). Sprindfields and Mauser's actions can be had pretty reasonably since most people are looking for unmodified guns. I would highly recommend wood stocks, as plactic ones just dont fit. If interested PM me and I can give you information how most of the target rifles of that era were set up.

HandR5200_1.jpg

Last edited:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Winchester High Sidewall or even a Low Wall. For no particular reason it occurs to me that a relatively low-recoil cartridge, loaded for accuracy, would be a real hoot on targets. As a for-instance with the High Wall, a .243 with 70- or 85-grain bullets, a grain or three below max. Heck, even a .223 would work great.

csmsss

Honestly? I think that scope looka AWESOME right in the box. I'm not sure I'd even want to put that on a rifle.

ken22250

i have a unertl scope very similar to that on an old .219 zipper improved, it was made in the 30's(6x), a zeiss zelkin on an old .220 swift(6x) also fron the 30's, i have a lyman on a M70 winchester in .220 Swift(10x), they are exelent scopes, the ajustments are quite good, the optics are superb, if you dont mind my asking how much you paid for it i would quite like to know.
ken

Scorch

I'm with Art on this one: a Winchester 1885 (High Wall) in 219 Zipper or 219 Donaldson Wasp. That is the perfect scope for a retro target rifle. And it's not that old. I remember seeing target rifles set up with those go to the range every weekend.

HiBC

As has been suggested,it would be period to both bolt and single shot older rifles.
There are some resonably priced books by DeHaas on single shot rifles that will show pictures of some of the old custom varmint rifles on single shots.For me,this was rather a blending of technologies of two different eras.My tastes would prefer something like a Malcom scope on an old single shot,but that is just me.The era of putting scopes like yours on falling blocks and such did happen.
If you can find old issues(50's,60's) of American Rifleman,or "The NRA Gunsmith guide",books like "The Modern Gunsmith" by Clyde Baker,and another by Dunlap,Jack O'connor "The Hunting Rifle" you can get a feel for what was "proper" at the time.
Remember,to a degree,rifles like the M-70 and Rem 721 were a response to what gunsmiths and riflemen were developing in small shops utilizing the abundance of military surplus arms available.
It would not be unusual for a scope like that to be used on a sporterized military rifle,often what might be called a "bull gun".
As many springfields and mausers as have been converted,it might work to look around for an old school converted military rifle.Be picky about the metalwork,and you may find a springfield with the bolt bent,etc.
The Rem of the time was a 721/722.Not so common.I think FN Herstal is making M-70's again.If you will search "the montana rifleman" you will discover a source for a clone of the M-70 action.The proprietor also makes barrels,and sells barreled actions.I think the bbl's actions can be had for < $1000 and the actions are in the vicinity of $600.

While you have correctly stated wood would be the most appropriate material for a stock,I think if you look at the design of a McMillan Marksman stock you may see a shape appropriate.(from memory,I may be wrong).

I might not worry too much about the action being drilled and tapped as those scope were typically mounted on blocks on the barrel.

Buffalo Arms specializes in black powder cartridge rifles.The offer something like the old Unertl or Lyman barrel blocks to mount these scopes.
Lastly,there may still be a few crothchety old gunsmiths still alive who used to make such rifles.....

Good luck!!

ndking1126

I've never used or even been around this type of scope.

Is the appeal just the historical/retro aspect of it? Or do they have amazing performance that rivals today's target scopes?

Glenner

First of all, THANKS for all the great input!!!
The reasons I'd like a rifle that matches up with this scope are as follows:
1. From an investment stand point, I'd like to have a combination that will maximize the ''rifle/scope'' value.
2. Just the cool factor is in play here, I can see that baby on the wall next to my 1,000 yard rifle, what a great contrast.
3. I'll try shooting the 22/rim fire matches at my local club, I shoot Bullseye and 22 Sporter Rifle, I ought to try this too.
4. I've always liked the look of these old scopes, but I have to disagree with csmsss, it needs to be on a sweet old 22 target rifle.

Again, THANK YOU all!

CPTMurdoc30

My dad has three of the Lyman Super Target Spots (Just like yours) his are 2 are on 03a3 target rifles in 30-06 1 is on a Muaser 98 in 25-06 All will shoot bug holes at 100 200 and 300 yards. My dad also has a Unertal 20x that is mounted on a Muaser 98 with a 1.5" dia barrel XXX Clairo Walnut chambered in 243win the twist is set to 1:10" So it will not shot anything over 85 or 90 gr. But my brother had it shooting .208" 5 shot 100 yard groups with the 58gr V-max.

So I would look for a sporterized 03a3 or M98. You would be better off trying to find one that bubba got to so you can get it cheap.

They also would look right at home on a falling block/ high wall or rolling block rifle as well.

The falling block action is a very strong action (Think Ruger #1) this action can handle very heavy hitting calibers that are used in Africa. The remington Rolling block rifle is not as strong as the High wall Winchesters.

There is also another one to look at the winchester Low Wall

Albeit the single shot actions I listed above are selling for premimums now. the last time I looked my dad had 2 high walls, 2 low walls, 3 rolling blocks.

Good luck in finding that special rifle to go with your lyman. Let us know how it goes.

kraigwy

Cpt Murdoc,

Sounds like your father knows guns, I bet he would be an interesting fellow to set down and talk too.