Need advice on .22 plinker

ZEN.45

Hello, I have been visiting this great forum for a long time and using the search-function to find answers to my questions.

This time my need for advice is more specific. So here it goes ...

All my handguns are .45's or .357's (1911 / 1911A1 / Glock30 / Python / Blackhawk). I have decided to buy a .22 pistol. The main use will be plinking-fun disguised as serious target practise :) . My main concern is reliability, durability, ease of use and precision (in that order).

After some research I came up with the following options:

* BERETTA 87 Target
* CZ 75 Kadet
* RUGER Mark II (5,5 bull barrel)
* SIG Sauer Mosquito

Over here the differences in price between these models are limited. With the exception of the Mosquito priced ca. 100 $ less than the others. The price is not a big concern. I don't mind spending extra on something that is to give me satisfaction for years (like my girlfriend :D ).

The Ruger is the only one I had the opportunity to try, and I liked it.

All advice, comments and experiences are welcome.

heckinohio

22 Plinker pistol

Didnt someone say something like "The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.'???? I am not up on three of the pistols you mentioned. Really new additions to this market nitch have all seemed more oriented to space agey design and materials rather than quality. Even Ruger has gone to plastics. I can speak, however, on my personal experience with the 22 pistols from several years back. I have a Browning Medalist, S & W M-41, High Standard Olympic 103, very old Ruger MK 2 w/6 1/2", and three copies by AMT in SS and a Colt Match Target. Several of these smack of quality that todays younger buyers may never have been exposed to. All have high quality adjustable sights, a Must for any pistol for any use, as far as I am concerned, and I like the little longer barrel for the additional stability, 6" being my shortest acceptable length. One other big shortcoming of 22 pistols is a seemingly industry wide aversion to cutting the extractor notch deep enough and making the extractor too narrow. Many 22s that I have (all types, have 75 mixed rifles/pistols) have exhibited extraction problems, mostly leaving fired empties in the chambers. The three SS AMT Ruger copies I have all exhibit a failure of the machined area for the extractor not breaking into the chambers edge, extraxtor engagement dependent on blow back for the initial movement rearward before extractor takes over. I have two full auto pistols that were a real nusiance in this regard. These have easily removable barels in which I machined the notch deeper, ensuring positive engagement. The original mfgr knew of the problem so had added a benign extractor on the opposite side of the bolt still not curing the problem. I have stiffened its spring and things work much better now, although these guns are still very ammo sensitive. Nothing is more of a nusiance than a machine gun that wont. If there is a bottom line to this windy discourse, buy the best quality you can from a known group of established reputation pistols, be sure to get adjustable, easily seen sights, might look at the extraction situation mentioned above and always use better quality ammo. I bought some 5000 rnd of Russian years ago and it is a big joke, split cases and face full of hot powder are one problem you can do without............sometimes bargains arent........

Grayfox

The Ruger MK II is a fine gun. Another to consider is the Browning Buckmark. The Browning is my choice in .22 autos.

The main use will be plinking-fun disguised as serious target practise
If what you're looking for is practice for you're defensive weapons, another option is to get a .22 conversion unit for your 1911 or Glock. This allows for cheap practice with your actual defense gun. I bought a Ciener unit for the 1911 several years ago and liked it so much that I built up a frame to mount it on permanently. :D

prowler

Browning Buckmark and Ruger MK II are the good choice for reasonable price gun, you may get a used one in great shape for less thean $200.00.

rugerdude

A buddy of mine has a 22/45 and that thing is the meaning of a fun plinking pistol, I personally fired 300+- round out of it without a single problem and I hear the mark IIs are even nicer. However, I think the conversion kit would be your best bet unless you shoot all your guns often (you don't want to be taking the kit off and just putting it right back on again).

XavierBreath

I like the Ruger MKII.
I like it over the others because it is a platform for customization. There is a ready aftermarket for it, almost as good as a 1911. You can even get lightweight barrels/recievers for it. It is rugged, accurate, reliable, and has a cult all it's own. About the only bad thing you can say about it is it is tricky to detail strip. Once you learn the procedure, it's a piece of cake though.

Here is the MKII Forum http://www.markii.org/forum/index.php?act=SC&c=2

Here are my favorite MKII plinkers.

BullseyeRugers.jpg

Samuel2001

ZEN.45,
Of the pieces you gave us to pick from , I belive the Ruger MKII is your bang for the buck choice! The Beretta 87 target is an awesome piece though, nothing to sneeze at! Got rid of an older and beat-up Beretta M89 to git an 87 Target as soon as I come up with the rest of the money. The CZ is more of a plinker not the most accurate, and the Sig Mosquito I have never dealt with!

Good luck!!!

BryanP

If you liked the Ruger Mk. II try finding a Ruger 22/45. Same grip angle and mag release as your 1911, but otherwise similar to the MK. II. I love mine.

jercamp45

Don't know if you need a permit to get a pistol there....

but, how 'bout a Marvel .22 conversion unit for your 1911? They are reported to be extremely accurate, gives you alot of familiarity with the operating of the ol slabsides, and is alot of fun!!
The Ruger 22/45 is also a very nice possibility.
The Kadet unit is supposed to be very nice, once you get a CZ.....
These would be.are my choices.
Jercamp45

User Name

Browning Buckmark and Ruger MK II are the good choice for reasonable price gun
Thats the two I picked between for my only .22 handgun...I chose the Browning...is it better?? I dunno, but I'm pleased with it....

ZEN.45

I don't think conversions are an option. According to their site Ciener doesn't make a conversion unit for the Glock 30 (compact .45).
The 1911 I have is a Colt USGI from 1916 and the 1911A1 is a Colt engraved commemorative model.

The CZ Kadet would be the complete gun (not the conversion).

I appreciate all the input. However I'm leaning toward the Ruger or Beretta. Keep in mind that over here the price difference between these two is very limited.

Thank you.

Doogle

I have the Beretta 87 Target...>

...and after about 1,500 rounds I'm very happy with it. It has a nice thin frame (with a somewhat similar feel to a 1911) and fits smaller hands well. I've had no problems with functioning.

Similarly to yourself I decided between the Beretta and the Ruger. Having shot the Ruger (at least the newer .22/45 version) I expect I'd have been happy with one of those also. The only real issue I have with the Beretta is the finish. The blueing is more black and is marked fairly easily. If they made it in stainless that would be a definite improvement.

Last edited:

johndavid400

I was in your same situation a few months ago when I was looking at the Ruger MK II, Browning Buck Mark, and Beretta Neos. After much research and reading 100 different reviews for each pistol, I decided on the Ruger. When I got to the gun store however, I happened to come across one I had never seen before, the Walther P22. Against my better judgement, I took a chance with the Walther (I am a huge 007 fan). Anyways, it was a lot of fun and looked incredible, but it lacked in accuracy and reliability. After 8 months I reluctantly took it in to trade on a Ruger MK II. After shooting my used Ruger... I have never looked back. It has not malfunctioned once and has been an absolute pleasure to shoot with excellent accuracy. Though I cannot vouch for your other choices, The Ruger is an excellent .22

ZEN.45

OK it's done. I just picked up the Beretta 87 Target.

I'm taking it to the range on saterday to give it a try.

The final choice between Berreta and Ruger wasn't very rational, more a "feel right" thing.

Thank you for the given advice and comments.