Need advice for wife (anti)'s first trip to the range.

Battler

My wife has condemned my accumulation of a (meager) collection of firearms. She's refused to accompany me to the range.

Now, she asked when she can come to the range with me. Seems she's concerned about "safety", and is caught between a lifetime of anti-gun propoganda and hard realities of the world the way it is and common sense.

The wife INSISTS against growing the whopping arsenal any further, wrt. getting her "a piece of her own". Yet my "psychotic plethora of death machines" consists of a 686+ (357 mag, 4") and a Glock 30 (45acp).

I think the G30's out. I suspect that if someone fired that as a first handgun they may become discouraged by the recoil (although it suits ME just fine).

As for the 686, I could load that down to the point where the bullets trickle out of the barrel and onto the floor; and with its weight the recoil will be mild anyway; but the weight makes the 686 hard to lift PERIOD, and the trigger pull isn't real light.

Don't get me wrong, these two were bought for ME, and I like them.

I was wondering if someone could advise a good rental for this situation, that she could compare with the current stash - and perhaps even go so far as to conclude she needs one of her own - or at least not be put off of handgun practice from the start.

I was thinking either a S&W model 60 (compact revolver - easier to lift despite recoil), or a 9mm (maybe G19).

How would you start out educating a semi-reluctant first timer in this situation?

thanks,
Battler.

Erik

Battler,
I urge you to start her off with a .22. A single action .22 is even better. Why? They are the least intimidating handguns to novices and antis in my opinion. This is due in part to the perception that they are "innocent" cowboy guns, part to low recoil, and part to simplicity of operation. I wish you the best!

Erik

RickD

Yeah, the .22 in both pistol and rifle. Start with the rifle first.

Beyond that, do you have any experience with instructing in any form and firearms instruction in particular. If you have not the patience or the lesson plan for the job, I suggest you pay a firearms instructor to do it for you. Find one who has taught a fair share of females. Temperament is a key issue.

In Arizona the Hunter Safety Program charges all of $6. Not a bad place to start.

Rick

ShallCarry

I converted my own wife from anti to gun owner, first with a pellet pistol in the back yard, then with a S&W M-686 shooting light .38spl target loads at the range. She loved my Smith so much, I bought her a Model 65 Lady Smith for her birthday a few years back (after she had already chosen and bought a SIG Saur P-232 for her first gun).

I have a Ruger Mark II, and my wife does like it. But of all our guns, she likes my M-686 best followed by her M-65LS as a close second, using, 38spl target loads.

--Rich

------------------
Nothing threatens freedom so much as self rightous ignorance.

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I would recommend a light .22 revolver (such as SW17 or 317 kit gun) because they are fairly easy to use, quiet and easy to learn. Cowboy-style gate-loaders are harder for anovice to clear. Give her a big target very close up, explain the operation before going out to the firing line and keep the range session shot: her hands will likely tire in half an hour.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I agree with all of the above. One problem with instructing is that (1) the "instructor" is often not that good and (2) old disagreements tend to carry over into instruction sessions ("Don't tell me what to do, you are trying to control me, you male pig, and don't try to hold my hand like that....")

I like the airgun idea. Also, you can try a challenge. ("If you hit that can, I'll do the dishes tonight" works wonders in building an interest in shooting.

Jim

LongDuck

From my own experience, try the following to ensure that she enjoys her first time out - this is the *most* important trip that you can make with an 'anti' who's willing to open their mind;

1) talk to her about safety BEFORE the trip - she needs to know what to do and what *not* to do, lest she make a simple mistake at the range and get yelled-at, never to return. This is critical, it demonstrates a level of trust and responsibility that is necessary on the firing line.
2) Let her handle the same type of gun (even if a larger caliber than .22) BEFORE the trip - let her get familiar with how it works and what it's going to feel like ahead of time. Standing on the line is not the place to go over method-of-operation of a complicated firearm (I suggest a .22 revolver as have the others - rifles can be intimidating and take longer to shoot well, IMO).
3) Keep the session short - with most new shooters, their tolerance for noise and concentration is low, keep your range session short to avoid 'burnout' and she'll want to go with you next time, too.
4) Go for HER, not for YOU - if she's willing to subvert some of her liberal beliefs to check out the other side, do the range time for HER enjoyment and learning - you already know how to shoot - she doesn't. Don't even take your guns, as your attention should be on what she's doing now and what she'll be doing next.
5) Make the experience pleasant - make a half-day of it and take her to lunch afterward or out shopping at the mall. She'll associate the 'good' feelings with the range trip and it will make a lasting impression.

and, lastly,

6) Be patient - new shooters don't know what they're doing, by definition, and require constant vigilence and attention. She's going to get frustrated if she has questions that you're not around to answer, so be available. Answer questions without undue background or history, and get to the task of shooting.

Overall, I applaud you for taking the time and effort to make another convert - in fact, this one may be the most important potential shooter in your life! My wife has really taken to it, and now owns a Glock 19, a .22 rifle and we're shopping for a good shotgun for her to shoot trap and doves. Start out slowly and let it be a part of your relationship together. It could be the most rewarding thing you do. Good luck,

cruiserman

Battler, I suggest that your wife take a basic pistol class where revolvers and autoloaders are discussed, and she can fire different guns at the range. My wife and I took such a class at Caswell's in Mesa, AZ, and it was a good starting point. It was 4 hours, and it covered how the guns work, safety, sighting, and range work.

Steve Smith

The first thing I'd do is buy the book "Armed and Female" by Paxton Quigley, show it to her, but don't force her to read it, just let her do it on her own...it WILL help. Also, take her to the range on a day that you know there won't be many people there, or out in the country where you can take you time and not have to worry about others being unsafe. Hang on...before even doing this...do the next step! I taught my mom (definately not the shooting type) all about a revolver, in almost a classroom setting just for her. Before our little "class," I made up an outline covering safety, theory (how bullets are fired),shooting stance and recoil control, and the mechanics of the gun IN DETAIL. The outline helped me remember everything. , All this schooling, if done well, begins to strip away the idea that there's a little Satan inside of every gun, setting the gun off all the time. After teaching her how the gun works (SPECIFICALLY the gun she'll shoot), then take her out to the range. Stick to your lesson plan concerning safety and stance, and let her shoot 'till she feels satisfied, but not a round more. If possible, take her to an NRA Self Protection/Pistol training class...both of you go...even if you don't feel like it, and don't let her know that you don't want to be there. It'll be the best thing you could do for her. What state are you in?

Battler

I'm in Texas.

And I have to apologize for calling her an "anti" - it's not entirely correct, she's never advocated any support for any gc/bans (oh, and she likes Klint even less than I do), just believes in that there's a little demon inside every gun like you said. I guess she has only half of the anti mentality (fear of guns), not the malicious side (I don't like'em so others can't have'em).

Thanks for the good advice - I planned on doing a home safety, and explain the mechanical functioning of BOTH semi and revolver, along with safety/4 rules/how to unload/un-chamber, and to ALWAYS keep it pointed downrange.

It would be a bit of a pain to get/schedule ourselves around outside training; but I don't think we are in such a relationship where our personalities would conflict during training.

I think I'll go with the .22 and 38 combo.

Battler.

AEM

My advice is:

1. Reread LongDuck's post above- - very sound advice.

2. Go with the .22 revolver; rifles are usually too heavy and the stock too long for women.

3. Try to go when the range is empty or almost empty.

4. Get ear and eye protection that fits. I have found that the report of other shooters at the line is very disquieting to newcomers at first. When I take my 8 year old son to an indoor range we walk in wearing our ear protection, but the concussion of centerfire handguns frightens him at first. It makes your chest wall thump. Tell her to expect the noise, but that after a while she won't notice it.

5. Use bullseye targets, not human silouettes.

You're doing a good thing. Good luck!

Robert Foote

I, too, agree with Long Duck's advice. Use a swing-out DA .22, keep it simple, short, and fun. Don't be in a hurry, and keep it very basic--if you do it right you will have years to get to all the other trivia. Then take her out to lunch/shopping/whatever so she considers it all part of a fun day. Give her some flowers in a day or two for being a good sport and participating in something you like. (Taught and coached a lot of women over the years--they come at it differently than you and I do. Done right, they decide they like it too.)

------------------

Glenn E. Meyer

Battler - where is TX?

If near Austin - check out www.krtraining.com
- Karl and Penny run a great school. They
do offer classes for women. In fact, they
were written up in Women and Guns mag.
Tell them I recommended you.

Also - a good book for women (or anyone)
Effective Defense - The Woman, The Plan, The Gun - by Gila May-Hayes.

foxfire

Battler,
Great advice above.
I believe your wife might really like the idea of going 'shopping' afterward.
Mine did and still does, every time we go to the range together, even after all these years... :)
Good luck and keep us posted.

------------------
...defend the 2nd., it protects us all.
No fate but what we make...

ddt4free

Every anti I have converted started with .22 rifle. No loud scary noises. No recoil. Easy to shoot and less likely to accidently shoot herself in a vital area as the trigger and business end are farther apart.

If outdoors, bring snacks, fun targets, hearing protection and anything to make her feel comfortable. Also plan for a time of the month that is not stressfull to her. Nod! Wink!

Praise every little thing that you can in the begining. Rather than say "you missed to the right" tell her that she "hit to the right of the target". They mean the same but the latter is more positive. good luck ddt

P.S.
I have never taken someone shooting (anti or pro) that didn't just have a total blast. Hell, I convinced three newbies to join the nra in the last few months. Thats when you know you got em hooked.

Kentucky Rifle

Battler,
Things may be different than you perceive. While not a full anti, my wife never had any interest in firearms. I didn't think much about it. One day, to my great surprise, she asked to go to the range. I thought she wanted to watch. The next surprise was when she said, "what am I going to shoot"? I was blown away, however I got out a .22 caliber single six for her to try. At the range you could have knocked me over with a feather when she put the first six shots in the X ring. Then 50 more rounds went into the bullseye. My wife is a "natural shot". I took her to the gun shop and told her to choose any pistol that she liked and would practice with. She chose a .38 cal Taurus Total Titanium snub nose. She loves it and is a better shot with a snub nose than I EVER was. Last weekend she had a wonderful range session with my Glock 27. No problems at all. (I'll have to keep my eye on my Glock! :)) She has taken and passed the CCW class and is waiting anxiously for her license. (Should be one more week.) I go to the range much more now because she is always saying, "let's go shoot".
Maybe your wife will be like this also. I think that a lot of people would enjoy shooting if they just tried it.

Will

------------------
Mendacity is the system we live in.

Battler

Glenn: Yes, Austin - indeed, I took K&R training's "beyond the basics - Pistol " a while ago.

Took my CHL class at Shaeffer's (sp?) on Karl's referral, too. VERY cool.

I think I was better off "playing" with the gun a bit at my own pace before splashing out on the course, after which I got a lot out of it.

Thanks ddt; but I'm going to keep it pistol. One thing too - I want to hedge my bets - if she does NOT end up liking it/ever going back to the range I want her to at least have handled my pistols in case she ever needs to get to one in an emergency. We'll stick to rented/owned pistols, as that's all that will be available.

Of course, I pray that the interest grows and that I can get her to some training (and MYSELF to some more training).

WLM: I guess your results represent the best possible case. I pray to have the same success you did. I will weep openly the day I hear my beloved tell em "Dear, I don't think we have enough guns".

thanks, all.

Battler.

vega

I bid you good luck on that day. I got the same concern with my wife til my kids told my wife what good time they had at the range with me. We'll be going to the range this Sunday and I'm more excited than she is. One more convert should do this world a good deed.

vega

Mike in VA

Battler - you've received a buch of good advice above,so I'll just add a plug for a CD called Safety-On. It's a great interactive tutorial on firearm safety and responsible gun ownership, plus a lot of good background on the 2nd Amendment, the shooting sports, etc. I've loaned it out to several neighbors who expressed an interest in shooting, and I used it last weekend before I took my brother-in-law to the range for the first time. You can order it off teh 'net at www.safetyon.co (or something like that), about $35. Good luck with your new student. M2

Steve Smith

Battler, everyone has given GREAT info. I forgor to say this, though. As far as mechanics, try your best to find a "cutaway" drawing of a revolver (if that's what she's going to shoot), and go through the functions of each part inside. That's really what I meant by explaining that functions. It seems dry, but it helps a lot. In fact, I'm training to become an NRA certified instructor, and in every class that I've been an "intern" on, the almost-anti ladies have said that the dry and mundane mechanics portion put them more at ease than anything else. On a side note, after shooting, have some ice cream. This is a tradition for me, and every new shooter I take with me has really shown that they liked it. Who wouldn't? :D