Need advice for new Handgun!

Hillbill

What I have so far.

S&W 22a .22lr
CZ 2075 Rami 9mm
Glock 22 (40) with .22 advantage arms Conv
Magnum Research BFR 30-30 (fun to shoot but this aint the wild west anymore)
Ruger RST-4 .22
HK P7 9mm

So I think I got my CC down, never really owned a wheel gun that popped open, but I like auto's. And truth be told I love America but Germans and Euro's makes are vastly superior IMO. Maybe a 45 acp or a 357? I dont know, really leaning towards another HK. 1st post here so figure you guys could help out a bit.

Thanks

Last edited:

chris in va

Definitely something in 45, but the 1911 isn't for everyone. I've had a Sig 220 for a few years and now heavily considering a Glock 21 SF.

Amin Parker

I agree. You need a 1911. It will change your life, they are fantastic pistols. Then get yourself a Browning High Power

starship

FNX 40 (I think it also comes in45 but not sure).
I just got one after some research and really (really) like it.

Have been to the club a couple of times and others seem to think it's a pretty nice one also.

Tucker 1371

Another vote for the 1911. Smith and Wesson, Springfield Armory, and (flame suit on) Taurus make good affordable ones IMO. My brother's RIA Tactical is a nice looking 1911 (the slide isn't used like a dang billboard) but it shoots all over the place and we can't seem to find mags or ammo that it won't jam with.

spodwo

Hmm - frankly - I would get mysefl a nice .357 mag wheelgun - a great S&W model 66 for example. Extremely versatile and can shoot a wide variety of loads. What makes it even more fun is to get into reloading wheel gun cartridges - simple to do and makes it even less expensive to shoot.

swmodel66_01w.jpg

Go classic....

DaleA

I would have agreed with those telling you to get a sweet .357 revolver (or maybe a .44 magnum) because those are some of the 'classics' but since I took a look at the BFR I now realize you've been all over the big revolver situation so I cast my vote for a 1911 just so you can say 'oh yeah, let me tell you about MY experience...'

And don't get some other .45 ACP even though it might be better (gasp!) because then you would not have a 1911.

P.S. If you decide on a 1911 and decide to get a 'premium' one check out some of the threads here dedicated to that discussion. If you're up to spending $1500+ for a handgun you should take advantage of some of the real expertese on this board.